A Crazy Norwegian Farmhouse Style Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshesmusica

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A while back I thought it would be cool to brew a very Norwegian beer. I thought I'd investigate what the typical Norwegian spices are (that grow naturally) and maybe some berries and make a farmhouse style beer inspired by Norway. And all these thoughts came about because White Labs came out with a yeast called Norwegian Farmhouse Ale (WLP6788).

Then I stumbled upon the show Brewdogs, and they pretty much do this in each city they brew. So I thought, great minds think alike, I gotta go for this one day.

As time progressed, I came to learn that over on the east side of the country (maybe here in the west too, but my step-father-in-law, who taught me how to brew, lives over there) wild hops grow. They are there from the time when either a) farmers were forced to grow ingredients for beer along with whatever else they grew, or b) a time when small local breweries provided beer for the workers in the local industry. So then I thought, ok, I definitely have to use those.

And since this is a farmhouse ale, then again, it could certainly use some fruit, and then I found out about these wild strawberries that are about 1/2-1/3 the size of a normal strawberry, but carry more flavor and aroma than normal ones, and are a bit sweeter as well. But that's not all!

As I was searching out the very typical Norwegian spice, I came across this guy's site:
http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/
This is where I found out about the wide use of juniper in farmhouse brewing in Norway. And I learned that farmhouse brewing is still going on today. And that they each have their own special yeast that has just been passed down from generation to generation. AND that the guy actually helped White Labs in finding the Norwegian Farmhouse yeast, which does actually come from one of these farmhouse brewers!

The guy got to brew with a couple of the farmers, and so this helped me develop this recipe and the techniques used.

Recipe: Very Norwegian Ale
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Saison
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 25.49 l
Post Boil Volume: 9.36 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 9.00 l
Bottling Volume: 8.5 l
Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
Estimated Color: 10.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 34.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 180 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.25 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) Grain 1 88.6 %
0.20 kg Wheat Malt, Bel (3.9 EBC) Grain 2 7.9 %
0.09 kg Acidulated (BestMalz) (3.0 EBC) Grain 3 3.5 %
5.00 g Pacific Gem [15.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 4 24.9 IBUs
15.00 g Wild Norwegian Hops [3.70 %] - Boil 5.0 Hop 5 3.6 IBUs
15.00 g Wild Norwegian Hops [3.70 %] - Steep/Whi Hop 6 5.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg Norwegian Farmhouse Ale (White Labs #WLP Yeast 7 -
100.00 g Wild Strawberries (Secondary 14.0 days) Other 8 -
15.00 g Wild Norwegian Hops [3.70 %] - Dry Hop 7 Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: BIAB Norwegian Farmhouse Ale Mash
Total Grain Weight: 2.54 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash Step Add 7.50 l of water at 72.5 C 64.4 C 240 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 20.53 l water at 75.6 C

So I supposed that the super long mash time should make a very fermentable wort. But then they go and boil it for 3-4 hours, which should obviously give it some color, and I'm guessing some caramelizing of the sugars, which should theoretically turn some of them back into unfermentables. So I'm not really expecting the FG to go as low as beersmith would predict. Although I will attempt to maintain the same heat throughout the long mash, they just wrap it and leave it overnight and hope it doesn't drop below 50C. The other thing is that they make juniper infused water and use it for the mash and for the sparge.

My only question really for this experiment pertains to the sparge and the boil. Because it's such a long boil, I need more water than I normally would with this size batch. BUT the reason I do this size batch is 1) to experiment on small batches, and 2) I don't have the equipment to do all-grain any larger, in other words, I only have a 19L pot. So my question is if I can just sparge to the max amount I can boil, then as it's boiling off some (like checking back each hour), to sparge more into the boil, doing that until I've sparged the total amount I was supposed to?

Also what do you guys think about the recipe?

Are you talking about starting the boil at your max volume, but saving the grains to rinse more sugars from later and adding that back into the boil? I dont see any issue with that. I dont see a point to boiling a whole 4 hours though. I've seen some strong belgians and scotch ales do 2 hrs for more caramelization, but 4 hrs just seems excessive.

That yeast looks interesting. I feel compelled to try any farmhouse yeast I find. You planning on fermenting it warm like most saisons?

Are you talking about starting the boil at your max volume, but saving the grains to rinse more sugars from later and adding that back into the boil? I dont see any issue with that. I dont see a point to boiling a whole 4 hours though. I've seen some strong belgians and scotch ales do 2 hrs for more caramelization, but 4 hrs just seems excessive.

That yeast looks interesting. I feel compelled to try any farmhouse yeast I find. You planning on fermenting it warm like most saisons?

Yeah, I'm not sure why either, it's just what they did on the second link I posted, so I thought "What the hell?"

Check out that post, the guy talks about fermenting in the upper 30s to even around 40, and how his brother ferments around 43! just intense. Not sure on the specs for that white labs one, but I will likely ferment warm. We're having an incredibly mild summer though, so I'm actually going to have to use a space heater to keep it warm!

Wow, I just looked up what 43C was in F and yeah that's a bit higher than Im able to get mine. I crank my saisons as far up as my 100W aquarium heater allows (~98F/37C). Before I put it in there, I like to zip my heaviest winter coat around the fermentor to insulate it and let it free rise.

Wow, I just looked up what 43C was in F and yeah that's a bit higher than Im able to get mine. I crank my saisons as far up as my 100W aquarium heater allows (~98F/37C). Before I put it in there, I like to zip my heaviest winter coat around the fermentor to insulate it and let it free rise.

yeah i was thinking of dropping it down to "normal" pitching temps, and then letting it free rise, and then warming it up some more at the end. i doubt i'll go up to 40 though.

Beer is traditionally fermented in the summer in ancient times in Scandinavia, then the yeast adapted to this season specifically from generation to generation.

I would be a little worried about tannins/ polyphenols from over sparging. It seema your amount of grain is a little light for the amount of water being used. Just my opinion.
I would personally just toss the fermenter somewhere and let it ride, just like a traditional farmhouse

Would love to get my hands on some of this yeast, don't much care for saisons and it's annoying to need temp control in the summer.

Is this yeast currently available? I just did a quick search and didn't come up with anything. I know White Labs recently released that New Nordic blend through their vault program, but I couldn't find anything labeled Norwegian Farmhouse.

I've read a bit about Kveik and am curious about how this beer turned out for you. I missed out on grabbing any of the New Nordic blend, but one of the specific wild yeasts from that blend is still available/not yet released.

So, how'd the beer turn out? Was it good? Just unusual? Weird? Bad? Unexciting? So amazing that you swore off the internet and are spending all of your time brewing as much of it as you can?

:D

Is this yeast currently available? I just did a quick search and didn't come up with anything. I know White Labs recently released that New Nordic blend through their vault program, but I couldn't find anything labeled Norwegian Farmhouse.

I've read a bit about Kveik and am curious about how this beer turned out for you. I missed out on grabbing any of the New Nordic blend, but one of the specific wild yeasts from that blend is still available/not yet released.

So, how'd the beer turn out? Was it good? Just unusual? Weird? Bad? Unexciting? So amazing that you swore off the internet and are spending all of your time brewing as much of it as you can?

:D

Here you go buddy. I'm sure as I'm terribly late to this old thread that you've probably already found it but here you go.
http://www.theyeastbay.com/brewers-yeast-products/sigmunds-voss-kveik

Old thread, but thinking of giving this a go. I know you didn't wind up brewing this recipe as described here, but have you used the kveik yeast? Would I use different fermenting equipment for this like I would for my other "farmhouse" style beers, so the lingering tough yeast doesn't spoil "clean" batches?

Back