A Couple of Noobs 2nd Brew - Our Belgian Triple Nipple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASassyBeerChick83

Reaction score
Salutations!
:mug:

Sunday night, the hubby & I brewed our - yes! - 2nd brew!! We are pretty excited!! The hubby really wanted to go for a Belgian & something perhaps a bit more challenging than our Munton's Bock Brew Kit! (we bottled this beer on the Fourth of July :ban: ) Although entertaining, we both knew we could handle something a little more intense the second go around! However, I think we might be doing a couple of extracts & partial mashes before moving into the AG.

The recipe that we followed....

Style: Belgian Triple

Sugars:
Amount Type
8 lbs. Light Malt Extract
1 lb. Light Belgian Candi Sugar
3/4 cup Corn Sugar (priming)

Grains:
Amount Type
2 lb. Pilsner Malt
1/2 lb. Carmel-Pils Malt

Hops:
Amount Type
1 oz. German Tradition
1 oz. Fuggles (flavoring)
1/2 oz. Czech Saaz (finishing)

Yeast: 2-packets Safbrew T-58 Dry Brewing Yeast

Starting Gravity: 1.074
Ending Gravity: 1.016

Directions: Make any water adjustments first. It is best boil as much (up to 5 gallons) as your brew-pot will hold. Be careful not to overfill or cover your brew-pot when boiling, this will cause a boil over.

The use of a grain bag is highly recommended. Place grains in grain bag, and put into 160 degree water. Cover, turn fire off, let steep for 30 minutes. Remove grain bag and bring water to a boil. Turn off the heat (to prevent scorching), and mix in the malt extracts and any other adjuncts. When fully dissolved, turn the heat back on and return the wort to a rolling boil. Add the bittering hops, continue to boil for 50 minutes. Add the flavoring hops, continue to boil for 5 minutes. Add the finishing hops and continue to boil for 5 more minutes. The use of hop socks makes the addition and removal of hops much easier.

After you have boiled your wort for a full 60 minutes, remove all hops and add water to reach 5 gallons. Cool to 75 degrees and add yeast. Shale your fermenter vigorously for 5 minutes to aerate the wort. Remember, your yeast needs oxygen to live and grow. Attach the blow-off hose to the fermenter and place the end into a container of water to form an air-lock. Rack into secondary fermenter after kreusen has begun to subside.

Starting with the Ingredients first!

Our Grains.
IMG_8095.jpg

Our Hops.
IMG_8097.jpg

Our Extracts.
IMG_8106.jpg

The Sugar.
IMG_8096.jpg

The Yeast.
IMG_8109.jpg

Ready to Get this Brew Going!!
IMG_8112.jpg

We brewed our Belgian Triple on Sunday!!
Stay Tuned for another Update!!
& let me know what y'all think!!
The hubby & I just wanna get better!!

Peace. Love. & Beer!
:mug: CHEERS! :mug:

Back