A big thank you to the vet posters!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brule

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

As a newb to this hobby, I have learned so much from this forum. I have only a few posts, but that's because I've spent so much time reading/searching the threads. There are 100+ little things that come up and I found the answers without even having to ask. :)

My first attempt was an Irish Red Ale (midwest kit) which I highly recommend to anyone starting out. It's good. Much better than I thought it would come out for my first time. I learned much from it and will be better in the future though, dumb little mistakes or lack of planning I won't have to deal with next time. (though I'm sure I'll learn more then, and then the next...)

Next up is appelweis and an ESB, both will be much better because of this board. Once again, thanks for the help and I'll keep abusing your past replies.

:mug:

It's amazing just how much knowledge is contained on this board. It helps to read a book, but the pictures, walk-throughs, and availability of answers really is staggering. I keep finding out new things everyday and it's amazing how much better the brews get with the knowledge gained here.

As a new brewer myself, I second that. There is so much knowledge freely shared here it's fantastic. You guys are great!

I also started with an Irish Red extract kit from morebeer which is in my 5 gal carboy secondary right now. I racked it over from the primary on Saturday after a seemingly good primary fermentation period. My O.G. was 1.052 at about 62 deg F before I pitched the Safale US-05 yeast. I haven't measured the gravity yet, I'm not too worried about it but I do have a question. The beer looks very muddy right now, about how long will it take in the secondary to look clearer? I'm planning on leaving it there for a total of two weeks before bottling, but I don't want to pour out a glass of mud 5-6 weeks from now.

Many thanks from me as well. The knowledge from this site has made all the difference in improving from my first couple of brews and getting me ready for my first AG in the couple of weeks.

The helpful hints, tutorials, pictorials, and comraderie available here are awesome.

As a new brewer myself, I second that. There is so much knowledge freely shared here it's fantastic. You guys are great!

I also started with an Irish Red extract kit from morebeer which is in my 5 gal carboy secondary right now. I racked it over from the primary on Saturday after a seemingly good primary fermentation period. My O.G. was 1.052 at about 62 deg F before I pitched the Safale US-05 yeast. I haven't measured the gravity yet, I'm not too worried about it but I do have a question. The beer looks very muddy right now, about how long will it take in the secondary to look clearer? I'm planning on leaving it there for a total of two weeks before bottling, but I don't want to pour out a glass of mud 5-6 weeks from now.

2 weeks should be plenty of time. I would check the FG to make sure you are at or near your target, but that is just me. My guess is that it will look much clearer after a week, and at 2 weeks you will be pretty good. If it still seems a little murky to you just leave it another week. Once it gets bottled and then goes in the fridge (after carbonating) it will end up a lot clearer. Good luck with your beer. I love Irish Reds.

I also would like to thank all the vets for the incredible info here. When I first joined I spent over a month reading every thread and taking notes.
The knowledge here is incredible ,as is the patience of many members who repeatedly answer the same questions over and over. Too many to name but they know who they are , and their help is greatly appreciated.
Just one example would be Revvy's bottling tips. Made the chore so much easier and faster .It now has become enjoyable and no longer a chore.

obezyana1 - thanks for your suggestion, I guess I'll have to try harder with that 'ol being patient thing I've read so much about here...

conpewter - nice signature! I saw 'V' late last year and really liked it. Who is V? Everybody!

The one thing that I believe helps is actually answering questions as well.

Everybody was a newbie at some point and just being able to help somebody gives you further knowledge so it really works both ways. (Which is why I hate it when people say DID YOU USE THE SEARCH?)

I'm still new I feel but I've done 25 batches and am still learning many things.

Brewing is like chess. You can play right away but every game you learn something a little more that maybe you did not know last time.

Better ways to hold a pot for pouring or faster way to boil or different way to add hops so not to boil over and even finding our you only have 1.5 oz of Williamette instead of 2 oz so you have to substitute on the fly!

Trick there is to use the different hops as bittering instead of flavor.

It's just dang fun to brew and is good for you brain.

Just want to throw out thanks here as well. In addition to help from my posts I'm learning a ton just from reading these boards in general.

Back