A B'armoire Build - My Lil' Piece of Heaven

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LennonsPub

Reaction score
So after brewing for about 2 years now, I can say that I’ve learned a few things. The main one being, the bottling process sucks. Since learning this, I’ve been searching for ways to fit a keezer in my small condo without the ugliness that comes along with the typical white whales or boxy behemoths. In searching this forum, I found a few recommendations that certainly helped, but nothing fit the bill perfectly. One particular idea however came closer than most. The B’armoire post by Foamenter.

My wife already had a similar armoire that we had used as a makeshift cocktail bar, but the space beneath was a clutter of serving trays, baskets and more serving trays. It was the perfect space. It took some convincing and a few promises (the bar will not smell [too bad], it will be invisible when closed, and I will have a beer of her choice on tap), but after her buy in I concluded my planning and I started the build.

The following pictures will provide a chronological history of where I started and where I am currently. She certainly is not completed yet, and I look to complete the following within the next week or so:

- Line the inside of the fridge with white FRP and seal all seams

- Purchase and install Dual Tap Tower and Full Assembly for two Corny Kegs

o Including the two homebrew Cornies as well

o A hookup for a commercial 1/6 keg if required

- Frame out the front door with ¼” plywood, apply weather stripping, include handles and locking mechanism, and paint with blackboard paint

- Stain and Polyurethane the Top shelf

- Add mirror to the back wall

I hope by posting these pictures on here now of my unfinished masterpiece, I will be able to gain from the experience of the wonderful readers on this forum. I hope that I can get some input from you fine people to help me troubleshoot and catch anything that I may have missed. If you have any questions, I’ll be happy to answer those as well. Please, if you have any comments or ideas post them all.

Thank you all in advance and I hope that my ideas and B’armoire will help inspire others in the future,

TJ

The Armoire
1138427007_JMWoU-L.jpg

The Inside
1138426997_XLJk4-L.jpg

The Mini-Fridge
1138425800_zubSX-L.jpg

The Mini-Fridge Guts
1138426256_ggdkf-L.jpg

The Guts in place
1138425811_YmMzt-L.jpg

Insulation Applied
1138424338_nBy6Q-L.jpg

Glueing Down the Insulation
1147266573_6UdLJ-L.jpg

With the Back on
1147267963_mRQtn-L.jpg

With the door open
1147267953_K6zok-L.jpg

The inner sanctum before the FRP board
1147268638_LGs5H-L.jpg

I am now in the market for a two tap tower with full assembly lines. I will also need the two refurbished Cornies. Any suggestions?

you got a dangling ice box evaporator there, that's for sure... How are you going to conceal that? I mean, that's a nice piece of furniture, I think you would want to somehow hide that since you'll be showing this beauty off, eh?

I'm planning on straightening the ice box and molding it to the wall. I have seen it done before, so I'm hoping I can do the same. I will be putting up the FRP board tonight, so once that is in place I will be organizing the inside.

There is still much to do, but the structure of the fridge is setup. I will be finishing the staining, painting, and trim next. The Tower and assembly is next. Updated shots...

Completed Door
1166035125_Ytnay-L.jpg

1166034341_Mjx4Z-L.jpg

Interior w/ FRP Board
1166034473_pVxcc-L.jpg

Temperature Gauge
1166035366_U9BNg-L.jpg

View looking in...
1166035648_AnLrw-L.jpg

I love it! This is truly an elegant approach to our favorite hobbies - building stuff to put beer in! I salute you.

Check out kegconnection for your keg/draft needs. they rock and their customer service is top notch!

I LOVE it! I'm going to start my build on a fully enclosed liquor cabinet that will have two hidden taps drawing from a small dorm-fridge conversion down in the crawl-space basement.

My suggestion for the taps is to do a small coffin box. You can get 2 perlicks and 2 90-degree shanks (http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=376_17_46&products_id=1211) for around the same prices as a draft tower. Just build a nice little wooden box and with the 90-degree shanks, you can make it small and out of the way...

Thanks for the input all! I'll be banging out the trim, painting, staining and polyurethane this weekend. Then I'll be picking up the assembly and tower. Mischief, thank you for your suggestion of the coffin box, but I'm going to stick with the tower in this case because it has a smaller footprint. I will be putting it in the back left corner facing out diagonally. I'm thinking this plus the two $15 Perlick faucets... http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=467 Thoughts? Should I upgrade the Regulator or tower?

I've taken some time this weekend to trim out the B'Armoire's interior and around the door. I also started the staining process. As you can see from the pix, I've started with a darker color on the table top and around the door and I settled on a cherry for the trim to try and match the original Armoire's wood. Finally, I found a nice piece of mirror that I cut to fit in the back. Note to self, cutting glass SUCKS! Luckily the trim hides my mistakes on the sides. I will be distressing the stained wood to try and match the look of the whole armoire, and finally I'll be using polyurethane to seal the top.

All Trimmed out, pre-stain
1179796229_6ndRJ-L.jpg

The door trim, just thick enough to fit when the door is closed...
1179796125_i5GqC-L.jpg

The mirror and trim added...
1179796450_L6BtJ-L.jpg

Stained
1179795376_ge25A-L.jpg

Blackboard paint on the door.
1179794834_tsyAv-L.jpg

Dude, that is honestly one of the nicest DIY things I have seen done on this site! Are you able to fit any other cornys in front of the compressor hub or is that relinquished to bottles?

Thanks for the praise. It was definitely a labor of love. Unfortunately, I'm at my max for cornies inside. The area around and over the compressor will be outfitted with a couple glass shelves, curtouse of the mini-fridge, and a couple of these...

http://www.centralchef.com/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=123094&c=187938&i=249378092

I will also be installing a fan on the interior of the ice maker to circulate the air a little better. Just a couple more minor projects to work on later this summer.

I love this. Very nice job, Lennon. I really like that it is completely self contained. You could even lock it up to keep the kids out. I am going to steal this idea and then completely forget about it before I ever get the chance to build one myself.

Hey IrregularPulse, the stain was a trial and error, but what I did was stain the top with a dark walnut color. I then sanded the heck out of it in random spots until I saw the original plywood. I then stained it again with a cherry color. The more you sand the better the look gets.

Itsme, if you ever get around to trying this, I'd be happy to help.

Really nice :) I have something similar, but only for storage and not for esthetics. The bottom is refrigerated.

fermchamber.jpg

Back