a-amylaseeeeee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtisj

Reaction score
Can someone help describe the
sequence in the creation of alpha amylase within the barley kernel, im having an issue finding that info.
or perhaps sources

hahaha, yes I am trying to understand the very basic sequence of creation within the barley kernel.

Its basically an enzyme that turns starch into a more usable sugar. Like yeast turning sugar into alcohol (and CO2).

but how is the enzyme created.
I understand the alluerone layer of the kernel, allows or creates gibberilin which leads to the creation of enzymes, but I am trying to find out in further detail exactly how its created

The enzyme is not created. It already exists. You on the other hand allow it to come out of the grain and work. It is no harder than that. You extract the enzymes already in the grains along with proteins and starch and they do the rest.

The enzyme is not created. It already exists. You on the other hand allow it to come out of the grain and work. It is no harder than that. You extract the enzymes already in the grains along with proteins and starch and they do the rest.

Um, no. He's talking about the formation of the enzyme itself. I don't know anything about that myself, but I'd be interested to learn. Perhaps this topic would be better placed in the Brew Science subforum?

Most of the enzymes are produced during the malting process, when the kernels are germinated. The enzymes are produced like any protein in a cell - DNA is transcribed and Ribosomes read the messageRNA and put the right amino acids together to make the enzymes. When the grains are dried the enzymes are still there but not active. Put the grain in water and warm it up and the enzymes are active and able to break down the carbohydrates.

Sent from my iPad using HB Talk

its produced like any other protein, ribosomes within the cells read the mRNA and stack amino acids until you get the full polypeptide.

Back