90 min boil ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azbrewboy77

Reaction score
not terribly important as I'm not using the recipe right now but, i purchased "clone brews " 250 recipes for commercial beers . they give extract , partial & full grain ( which is what i'd like to do ) but they ask for a 90 min boil on EVERY recipe & i was just wondering why & does it have to be 90 ? obviously would like to use 60 , thnx

I don't think it's necessary at this point in malt development. A 90 minute boil for an old school pilsner, maybe, but 60 (or even less) gets most jobs done. There's an exbeeriment on this sort of thing.

I've heard it said it should be done for pilsner malt. I've brewed 10x or so batches of all pils and done 60, 75, and 90 minute boils. Couldn't tell a difference. This was best malz brand.

cool thnx ill just try i guess , theres a moose drool i want to do in 5 gal just don't wnt to waste time and effort

Either the hops "need" to be boiled that long, or they are playing it safe.

I'd bet on the latter.

It's a waste of time IMO, and Brulosophy.com came to the same result in a recent exbeeriment. I'm going to start some experiments of my own boiling for only 30 to 45 minutes to see if I like the results, and if I do, I'll keep on doing that forever. Just like I've been mashing for only 40 minutes over the past 7 or 8 years, because any longer than that is a waste of my time. I mean, I could be wasting my time doing something OTHER than brewing! What a concept!

I got that same book for Christmas, and wondered the same thing.

I recently brewed the all grain version of the Maple Wheat Ale, and only did 60 minutes for both the mash and boil and I think it turned out nicely. Just be sure to recalculate the amount of hops for AG (it says how many HBUs to shoot for).

even today in alot of pilsner malts i have alot of issues using 60 min boils. if your recipe has the majority of your malt, using pisner, ya may want to just go with the 90 to avoid any off flavors. if you really want to know, do 2 batches.

Latest posts

Back