90 min boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfman

Reaction score
so i've seen some people mention 90 min boils, ive never done one so whats the deal?? what beers benefit from them?? do you add the bittering hops at 90 or 60 like a regular boil??

Some malts, especially Pilsner malt, have more DMS precursors, so they can generate more DMS during a boil. Usually, the extra time in that boil is to boil off that extra DMS.

You can also do an extended boil to reduce volume for a big beer or to try and get some melanoidin production or kettle caramelization.

TL

A lot of boils that are over 60 minutes are done to boil down to a target volume of wort.

I did one extract batch where I used Pilsner malt extract, and other extract lagers, as well. I went ahead and did 90 minute boils on all of them, due to the DMS concern. They were good beers. I can't say what effect the 90 minute boil, though, since I never have done it any other way.

It was fun, though. You just have to start with a proper volume to boil off.

TL

I do all my boils for 90 min. to help with DMS. You just need to adjust your volume for the longer boil time.

Longer boils will also give you more hot break, it will increase your hop utilization - but only marginally. Also some believe you get more hop utilization if you boil for awhile to generate a hot break before adding your bittering hops for their 60 minutes.

GT

I use an immersion chiller and only boil about 70 min (10min for break and 60min for hops) . Even with pilsner malt batches I don't have a DMS problem due to the quick chilling.

Kai

Some malts, especially Pilsner malt, have more DMS precursors, so they can generate more DMS during a boil. Usually, the extra time in that boil is to boil off that extra DMS.

DMS...dimethyl sulfide?

To paraphrase an expert, Jamil, here's the deal on longer boils -- in general, a longer (90 minutes or even longer) boil reduces the creation of dms in pilsner malts. However, if you cool your wort to BELOW 140 VERY QUICKLY after flameout (we're talking minutes), there is no need for a 90 minute boil. Apparently, as long as the the wort is above 140, dms is being created. When using a counterflow chiller the wort sits there quite a while (creating dms all the while) waiting to get its turn thru the chiller. He uses a counterflow with a whirlpooler and gets his wort to below 140 in 2 to 3 minutes, and therefore has gone back to 60 minute boils.

I use an immersion chiller so I boil pils 90 minutes, and when i turn the flame off and the chiller water on, I stir with the chiller to cool the wort more quickly.

Jamil uses an immersion chiller whith forced wort circulation so he doesn't have to move the chiller once in a while like I have to do. DMS creation doesn't stop at 140, but below that temp the formation of DMS is not significant anymore.

If you have an immersion chiller, you may as well try 60 min boils unless you need the time to correct volume or it better fits in your schedule. I wouldn't go above 90 min as you may end up coagulating to many proteins and your head retention may suffer.

Kai

Latest posts

Back