88% Lactic acid in place of Citric acid for Mozz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lolley

Reaction score
Does anyone else do this?, I use 0.18% by weight of the milk, so for one gallon of milk I use 0.25 oz. of Lactic acid. From my experience, that's 1 1/2 tsp., which is bout the same as a lot of recipes call for with citric acid (1 1/2tsp). That should put the pre-Rennet PH around 6.4?

I use the Lactic acid in place of Citric because it is more like the natural process of Lactic acid produced with cultures (just faster as you don't have to wait for the culture to work). I realize that the cultures would continue to lower the PH if you waited long enough but I've had good luck making quick Mozz with the Lactic acid.

Anyone else do this?

Never tried making mozzarella with lactic acid but when I do make it I culture the milk with my kefir and that, I think adds more flavor but as you say it does take a little more time. But in cheese making, for those not making cheese to sell, time is not perhaps as scarce a resource as flavor and in the case of mozz, the time added does not take time away from anything else I can be doing.

Back