8 year old supplies...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carrolte

Reaction score
I have some old stuff stored away, what of the following do you think will still work.

Powdered agar
irish moss
one step
ph papers
gypsum
Iodine tincture
BLC (beer, line, cleaner)

I will go ahead and give the agar a try, but the rest I wouldn't have a clue how to test if it is still working as its supposed to.

any thoughts?

I have some old stuff stored away, what of the following do you think will still work.

Powdered agar
irish moss
one step
ph papers
gypsum
Iodine tincture
BLC (beer, line, cleaner)

I will go ahead and give the agar a try, but the rest I wouldn't have a clue how to test if it is still working as its supposed to.

any thoughts?

I know from a thread I started a while back that the gypsum is definitely okay. It's rock or salt or something like that and won't go bad.

I don't think ph papers deteriorate, but you can check them by dipping in certain liquids with fixed ph. Try milk and OJ.

The other stuff I'm not sure about. No expiration dates on any of it?

The gypsum is fine, so is the one step and I would guess, the Irish moss. If it's all dry, it's all good.

I also had stuff that was a good 8+ years old when I returned to brewing early this Summer. I used up the one step in my first few batches and had no sanitation issues.

I even just brewed a stout with some left over chocolate and black patent I had sealed up. It was dry, so I milled it and used it. Smelled normal, so we'll see in a few weeks...dried grains can't go bad if they are sealed from bugs and moisture.

Latest posts

Back