8 month old LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eves

Reaction score
I wont go into details but basically its been 13 months since I last brewed beer and I have 8 month old LME + specialty grains. Well....I think I might be able to start brewing again. I hate the idea of throwing out those ingrediants. Can I still use them and make an acceptable beer? Or is 8 month old un-refridgerated LME not worth it or even dangerous?

I used 7 year old LME after I started back. It was in an opened plastic container with mold growing on top. I removed the mold and used the LME.

Looked like dark LME (although it was supposed to be light). Made a drinkable beer, though it was probably bad if I judged it by my standards today.

It got me back into brewing and let me practice on some ingredients I really didn't have any money invested in. I used 7 year old hops too, and some crappy no-name yeast, and it turned out 'OK'.

Compared to mine, your LME is fresh. Use it!

Back