8 gallon batches - what to use for fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
Well, i have a shiny new 12.5 gallon brew pot. I have decided that i will now be doing 8 gallon batches with a 10.5 gallon boil. I am wondering what I should use for a fermenter? I have the standard 6.5 gallon bucket, which will now be rendered obsolete. I am wondering if I shouldn't just split it up between two 5 gallon glass carboys? 4 gallons per bottle? Maybe I should try to find some sort of 10 gallon fermenter? Do they even make buckets that big!?

If you have a CO2 set-up I would use a 10 gallon Corny keg. You can ferment and then push everything into 5 gallon kegs using CO2 for serving. You will also have 2 gallons of head space so no blow offs. I started doing this with a 15 gallon corny for 10 gallon batches -works great. I keep the keg on a $10 Harbor freight dolly for easy moving, keg on wheels!

Looks like I will have to go grab a few more carboys. I only have 3, but I have an outlet where I can get them for $20 here in town so maybe a few more are in order...or I can just stop doing secondary fermentations and just dry hop in glass primary. Probably just as effective.

Why not just go get a 10 gallon Brute trash bin? It would be cheaper (and it is food grade plastic) drill a hole and put a grommet in there for the airlock, some clamps on the side to hold down the lid and VOILA - yeah it will be heavy, but it will also be cheaper than 2 carboys and use more verticle space and less horizontal space.

I bought a new 32 gallon one for 20$ with lid YEARS ago...I'm sure a 10 gallon one is cheaper than a carboy!

Edit: plus you will not have to blend them between rackings!

I do a lot of 8 gallon batches, to fill both a 5 gallon and a 3 gallon keg.

For those batches, I use a 6 gallon better bottle and either a 5 gallon better bottle or a 5 gallon water bottle.

The 5 gallon bottle contains only has 3 gallons, obviously. Works great.

I have 8 gallons of Dunkelweiss fermenting that way now.

:mug:

Well, i have a shiny new 12.5 gallon brew pot. I have decided that i will now be doing 8 gallon batches with a 10.5 gallon boil. I am wondering what I should use for a fermenter? I have the standard 6.5 gallon bucket, which will now be rendered obsolete. I am wondering if I shouldn't just split it up between two 5 gallon glass carboys? 4 gallons per bottle? Maybe I should try to find some sort of 10 gallon fermenter? Do they even make buckets that big!?

Maybe you could use your new brew pot, if you won't need it before secondary.... :)
10gBK.JPG

This.

I've learned A LOT just from using two different yeasts in the same wort. It's really fun to see how much of a difference it makes.

i just did it for the first time.
after a week the US05 went from 1.073 to 1.012 and burton ale yeast went from 1.073 to 1.010. the samples tasted pretty different too.
gonna bottle it in a day or two.

Well, i have a shiny new 12.5 gallon brew pot. I have decided that i will now be doing 8 gallon batches with a 10.5 gallon boil. I am wondering what I should use for a fermenter?

I would just use the shiny new pot and get it to a keg within a fortnight, or maybe 10 - 11 days depending on recipe and fermentation.

Maybe you could use your new brew pot, if you won't need it before secondary.... :)
10gBK.JPG

Man I like that a lot, If I had a stainless steel pot I'd do that after a no chill. For some reason, fermenting in aluminum makes me uncomfortable.

I use a 40L Sanke keg, it works out to 8.79gal. Put a little FermcapS in there and you're all set!

check this out, I did a lot of searching and this looks great.

http://www.eckraus.com/TT090.html

I am not concerned with transporting it or the weight of the vessel. I am a competitive power lifter. Seriously, I am. I see some nice handles on the sides of this unit, so it is nothing more than a deadlift!

Back