8 gal kettle big enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcampo

Reaction score
I want to do an open fermentation for my next Belgian dark strong (5 gallon batch) using WLP500 which I have never used.

I want to do it in my Morebeer 8 gallon kettle. My only concern is that the 8 gallon kettle is not big enough and will therefore cause krausen to flow out the top and create a huge mess. Anyone have any thoughts? Does WLP500 create a huge krausen that will overflow in that pot?

Note: I will be slightly underpitching which might equal a smaller krausen

High gravity and Belgian yeasts are a potent combo for some "energetic" fermentation.

I would:

A) Anticipate some overflow and make sure you have a pastic drop cloth or something similar under your bucket. Something like this???

Fermenter_Cooler3.jpg

2) Plan to get to the bucket a couple times a day to check on it and if necessary, skim some krausen off the top. I routinely do that with my biger beers, especially if my ambient temps are on the high side.

Three gallons should provide enough buffer space, but you should be prepared nonetheless. :mug:

Back