8 beers you should stop drinking immediately

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Screw these idiots, I still like Newcastle Brown Ale.... And I can't believe Guinness is on there.....But I drink enough to kill a small horse anyway, and that article is more suited for health nuts.

dont forget the conspiracy nuts! Don't you know Guinness is brewed with horse meat and dogs from puppy mills?

The article makes one point that I think is paramount in this discussion; after 20 some years of GMO's being ingested,there's no empirical proof that they cause any harm in humans or animals up to this point. Not that it couldn't,possibly. But that they haven't so far. Yet another case of fear mongering. People fear what they don't understand.

Not true. Here's a peer-reviewed study done which proves otherwise:

http://www.enveurope.com/content/23/1/10

And another:

http://www.gmofreepa.org/compelling-peer-reviewed-studies/

There are plenty of other studies done which are in the process of peer review. There's been two long-term studies, one funded by the government of Russia and another by the government of Finland..They've independently linked GMO to numerous health issues.

Just to be clear, it is crushing debt that is believed to be driving the suicide rate, not GMO crops. Expense and performance of GMO crops are a big factor in the debt load, but let's not mistake the causative factor (debt) with the correlated factor (GMO).

Also, that article spoke about Bt cotton, not eggplant, or did I miss something?

The crushing debt incurred when the GMO technology they were sold on and never panned out. One could draw the conclusion that if they planted heirloom cotton and eggplant varietals, the debt would be less crushing, if any weight at all.

Cotton and eggplant are two of the biggest GMO failures in India, and there are currently over 70 different GMO crops grown there. The Indian government sued Monsanto some years back, and there's a current lawsuit 5.5 million Indian farmers taking on Monsanto:

http://naturalsociety.com/5-million-farmers-sue-monsanto-for-7-billion/

Just as a side note, I am not a GMO hater.. But I am extremely skeptical of a technology that was rushed through the US government, which is filled with Monsanto and Monsanto-affiliated employees (and lobbied to the tune of tens of millions every year), without any long-term studies done to empirically prove the healthfulness of the technology. Should that ever happen I will reconsider my stance, but until then I'll keep eating and drinking the way I do.

The crushing debt incurred when the GMO technology they were sold on and never panned out. One could draw the conclusion that if they planted heirloom cotton and eggplant varietals, the debt would be less crushing, if any weight at all.

Cotton and eggplant are two of the biggest GMO failures in India, and there are currently over 70 different GMO crops grown there. The Indian government sued Monsanto some years back, and there's a current lawsuit 5.5 million Indian farmers taking on Monsanto:

http://naturalsociety.com/5-million-farmers-sue-monsanto-for-7-billion/

Just as a side note, I am not a GMO hater.. But I am extremely skeptical of a technology that was rushed through the US government, which is filled with Monsanto and Monsanto-affiliated employees (and lobbied to the tune of tens of millions every year), without any long-term studies done to empirically prove the healthfulness of the technology. Should that ever happen I will reconsider my stance, but until then I'll keep eating and drinking the way I do.

The cost of GMO seed is not an inherent property of the genetically modified organism. It is not the genetically modified organism that is at fault for Indian farmer suicides. It is the debt being incurred. By blaming the seed, or the plant, or the technology, and not both the peddler and purchaser of the seed, plant, or technology, you are embarking down a long and winding road of shared blame. They need to feed a rapidly growing population while using land as efficiently as possible due to factors like devastation from droughts when monsoon season is low or non-existent. Are the droughts partly to blame? Is the growing population also to share the blame? How about the doctors that are keeping people alive longer and decreasing infant/child mortality? How about the medical technology that the doctors are relying on to do their work? How about the growing economy? How about the industrial revolution, that allowed for the growth of the economy?

We can't blame a correlated factor for causation. That is all. I'll duck away quietly now.

Many Indian farmers basically indentured generations of their family by borrowing money to buy the GMO seed and Roundup pesticides, believing that the promised increase in yield would pay off. Not only did the technology fail to live up to the promises, in many cases, entire crops died off. Other times, the farmers were not made aware of the royalties they were to pay each season.
I never mentioned that the GMO technology was the sole reason for the suicides, It should be clear that there are many reasons that they decided to end their lives, and no one can say with absolute certainty which reason ultimately led to their decision.

Sorry Revvy, I saw your name in the article, but didn't take the time to read all 13 pages of this thread!

Ugh someone posted this on my Facebook wall a few days ago. I pretty much told the person that the whole article is bull

Good read. They all prove my stance that the articles in question were nothing more than glittering generalities,as we used to call then in Poli-Sci.

I didn't bother to read through everyone's comments so I'm sure its been mentioned but since when is corn a standard ingredient in beer? I'm pretty sure Budweiser is water, barley, hops, rice, and yeast.

Like pointed out terrible article in relation to accuracy and facts.

I didn't bother to read through everyone's comments so I'm sure its been mentioned but since when is corn a standard ingredient in beer? I'm pretty sure Budweiser is water, barley, hops, rice, and yeast.

A lot of beers use corn. It's very common in American lagers in particular.

A lot of beers use corn. It's very common in American lagers in particular.

I'm sure you're right but unless the brewers at Budweiser lie to every person they take on a tour I know corn isn't present in their main beer.

Like pointed out terrible article in relation to accuracy and facts.

Really, you don't know how common corn is in brewing?

Corn is used in macro, micro AND homebrewing. Anyone ever brewed a cream ale? Or bottled with priming (CORN) sugar?

Really, you don't know how common corn is in brewing?

Corn is used in macro, micro AND homebrewing. Anyone ever brewed a cream ale? Or bottled with priming (CORN) sugar?

Corn sugar yes I'm very aware of how often it is used. But the article reads as if whole kernels of corn are used in some cases and references corn sugar specifically at other points.

When I read the corn portion like I said I was thinking whole kernel corn. So I guess you can call me stupid or whatever else you would like but I've never read a recipe that calls for corn is that way. But then again cream ales and lagers aren't anything I've ever been inclined to make so I've never looked at a recipe.

I'll insert foot in mouth now.

Yeah,I know they use flaked rice & corn in some recipes. The Native Americans make Tizwin by malting corn & drying it in the sun. Then boil it down & put it in a barrel to ferment. I just haven't gone beyond dextrose myself.

Corn sugar yes I'm very aware of how often it is used. But the article reads as if whole kernels of corn are used in some cases and references corn sugar specifically at other points.

When I read the corn portion like I said I was thinking whole kernel corn. So I guess you can call me stupid or whatever else you would like but I've never read a recipe that calls for corn is that way. But then again cream ales and lagers aren't anything I've ever been inclined to make so I've never looked at a recipe.

Commercial American lagers use lots of corn. More rice, since they aim to taste like pisswater, but corn is used in quantity too and is traditional to American pilsners (up to like 1/3 of grain bill).

Yeah,I know they use flaked rice & corn in some recipes. The Native Americans make Tizwin by malting corn & drying it in the sun. Then boil it down & put it in a barrel to ferment. I just haven't gone beyond dextrose myself.

In Central and South America it was traditional to convert the starches in corn with salivary amylase. Like from your mouth.

"So how does it taste?"
"Well, it varies from person to person..."

Corn kernels are used as well. Corn is one of the most versatile ingredients in brewing. You can use whole kernel corn, flaked corn, grits, tortilla chips, even popcorn, there's recipes on here for pretty much all of them. It's NOT just for lagers, corn is used in ales as well.

In Central and South America it was traditional to convert the starches in corn with salivary amylase. Like from your mouth.

"So how does it taste?"
"Well, it varies from person to person..."

Chicha!!!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcf8WUB33hg[/ame]

Did anyone ever get to try the Chicha Beer at Dogfish Head?

Ah, nuts. I was hoping the article would tell me that I'm drinking beaver anal gland along with my propylene glycol.

So what's wrong w/any GMO'S????

But since I make my own beer AG My beer is SAFE!

The main problem people have with GMOs is that they haven't been heavily tested. So what's the after effect of crossing a salmon gene with a tomato for instance? What's the long term cause and effect of this transaction - well no one knows.

Most people that are against GMOs including myself just want food/beer labeled so we can avoid it (and possibly avoid growing a fish tail from our neck, who knows?). The food industry behind GMOs are fighting that with a lot of money....why? Well who knows, but I have a hunch why.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

have the NON-GMO food labelled as such, if ORGANIC doesn't already cover it

problem solved

Certified Organic is non GMO and has to be by law.

I'm curious why you think it should be the reverse when it comes to labelling?

I just don't understand these companies that think this is the future of food and nothing is wrong with GMOs why they won't boast it loudly to the public.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

if there are already labels to tell you the food is NON-GMO, why would you need more labels to tell you it IS GMO?

you have the problem with GMO, YOU PAY for the certification. why should I pay more for my food when I DON'T CARE if it is GMO?

you care, you pay.

Not to take a side on that point, but I'm confused why it would cost a company to label its food as containing GMOs. That would not require certification by an authority since it's an admission...

Resistance to labeling food with GMOs is purely about not wanting to have a label on it that could (rightly or wrongly) drive away consumers, any company that says it's about regulatory costs is playing martyr. It's a marketing concern.

yes, I'm sure designing new labels and packaging is FREE

like FREE health care, nobody has to pay for it!

So you're saying the principal cost of GMO labeling you're talking about is the literal design and printing of the label. The actual, physical label. And that's the red gubmint tape that's would oppress ma and pa GMO farmer. I don't think that adds up.

Not even going to address the last bit, seems like you want to go down the rabbit hole.

Back