79% efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silentbob

Reaction score
Well... I know that's not amazing, but it's a personal best. The only thing I did differently was ran my wort out of my mash tun at a very slow rate. 10 gallons took about 35- to 40 minutes. Anyone know if that would improve efficiency? This is my ninth batch and my 5th all grain batch... I've been struggling with efficiency. Getting around 70%.

My equipment is a cooler mash tun with a SS false bottom. I batch sparge also.

The extended mash time (including the extra 35-40 Minutes) could have increased efficiency. If you are having your grains crushed by your HBS, then they may have adjusted their gap setting. If you are milling your own grain, then gap setting is something to look into if you are concerned with efficiency.

Personally, I have been brewing for about 3 years, and all grain for over 2, and as soon as I purchased my own grain mill my efficiency jumped over 10%. I am getting between 79-82+% depending on mash thickness and other factors.

An efficiency of 79% is really good. I would say 85% would be the max to shoot for IMO. Wort quality is an important factor when discussing BHE.

Good Job on your improved efficiency, I would recommend improving your process (which can also improve efficiency) rather than focusing on saving a couple cents by improving efficiency.

Cheers!

Thank you, sir. I'm really not concerned about the savings as much as I am about improving my brewing process. Apex brew wares does my milling. I'll ask him about his gap settings next time I'm in. I've spared no expense on my equipment. I was just puzzled on my the low eff.

Congrats on the nice efficiency! I just did some research for a friend on this very topic. Here's what I came up with for top things to do to maximize your efficiency.
-
  • Ensure the crush is good (always the #1 item listed to improve mash efficiency)
  • Slow down the sparge (fly) or do longer sparge (batch)
  • Fly sparge should take an hour +, which is a great reason to continue to do 20-minute batch sparges
  • Ensure mash out reaches 168 prior to sparging, maybe try 169-170 (but don’t go over 170)
  • Note that higher gravity beers (above ~1.050) get less efficiency than low-gravity beers
  • Ensure measurements of volume and SG are accurate
  • And have a system for taking measurements the same way, at the same points in the process, consistently
  • Minimize losses in system (minimal dead space in MLT, hose lengths, etc)
  • Accurately hit target mash temps
  • When adding grain to water to initiate mash, ensure you add grain slowly, and stir well to ensure all particles are wet, no clumps
  • when batch sparging, stir the mash fully after adding sparge water
  • - check mash pH – it can rise in the mash. Adjust w/sales or pH stabilizer. Can get ~5-10% by ensuring pH is good.

Back