#7 stopper keeps popping off secondary...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhegarty

Reaction score
This is my second batch and I just racked to my secondary after 3 weeks in the primary. The airlock is not clogged and the #7 stopper keeps popping off of the 5.5 gallon glass carboy. Is this not the right size stopper? It seemed to work fine on the first batch.

any suggestions?

Sounds like fermentation started again in secondary? Did you take hydro readings before racking to secondary to confirm fermentation was finished? I can't help you with the stopper size. I have yet to use my secondary and I don't know if I have a stopper to fit it or not.

You can try taping that bad boy on there. I had to do that for a batch. I use "One-step" cleanser to sanatize with and it seems to leave a slightly lubricated residue behind which makes it hard to keep a cork in tight. If its due to the pressure build up in the bottle, you can try a blow off tube.

Yes, I took a hydro reading and it was at 1.01 for the past 4 days.

The stopper was wet with star san originally and it has been about 3 hours since racking to secondary. I think you are right that it is probably wet on the neck of the carboy or the stopper is still wet.

Not fun walking into my spare bedroom and seeing the stopper and airlock on the floor.

I'm thinking it is duct tape time....

I dryed the stopper and the tip of the carboy with a clean paper towel and it was much more difficult to get the stopper in. This will probably do the trick.

Thank You

Get a carboy cap
carboycap.jpg
moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

Back