6mm sensor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see any problem. 6mm is .236 in. so a compression fitting should seal just fine. The compression fittings that I use have an o-ring to seal and they compress quite a bit on the sensor shells.

I don't see any problem. 6mm is .236 in. so a compression fitting should seal just fine. The compression fittings that I use have an o-ring to seal and they compress quite a bit on the sensor shells.

What o-ring did you use?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

What o-ring did you use?

I really don't know the actual size. They came with the compression fitting from one of the online vendors. You might try a 1/16" cross section X 1/4" inside diameter one. One or two of those should replace the ferrule in a compression fitting with ease.

The O-ring size depends on the thickness of your probe. I use a CDN-450 and the 2 O-rings that came with the fitting fit snugly around the shaft. For a 1/4" probe I'd say an appropriate size is needed. Larger ID and thinner width so they can still fit inside the compression nut. And I think you have to use 2 of them to create a good seal.

I think Silicone rings are preferred for this application, but Buna-N should work fine too.

Just make sure the compression fitting is drilled through. Normally they have a stop to stop the tube being pushed through. A machine shop should be able to drill it out in less than 2 minutes.

Shouldn't be a problem. I've got a fraction, number, and letter drill bit index. I'm sure bill be able to drill it through.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Good point on the stop. The ones you buy from Brewhardware, Bargainfittings etc. are drilled through already.

I find that format sensor probe has 2 issues.. one, it is too short, and two, if you like to remove it, you cannot without it leaking.. I myself prefer the thermowell like brewer's hardware has and then put a bead type probe in it... just my $0.02

In a RIMS tube or for chiller temps I think it'll be fine. For a MLT a longer probe would be required.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

agreed on the length for those two applications... I actually have that style on my RIMS at the moment, have not gotten around to switching...

I will add that I hate having more wort or water spill when I start disassembling for cleaning....

I need to design a little flat metal clip that presses the sensor bead hard against the inside tip of the thermowell, and I will be 100% satisfied..

do not understand... I use a bead-type sensor in a thermowell... but a clip to hold the sensor bead tight against the inside tip of the thermowell will improve performance but still allow me to remove without leaking liquid... and bead type sensors are dirt cheap compared to jacketed ones or putting connectors on...

I just have one question, why do you want to remove the sensor (and not the thermowell)?

After brewing, I like to move my mash and boil kettles outside to clean them, I do not like to spill wort or trubby hop juice.... I pull all the sensor beads, coil up the wires, and hang them on a hook on the wall behind the brew station.
IMG_1535.JPG

I just have one question, why do you want to remove the sensor (and not the thermowell)?

I have a mobile brewery. It lives on a push cart when not being used. Also for cleanup I don't want to have wires that can get ripped out while I'm cleaning everything up.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back