60 or 90 min boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pookapoo

Reaction score
Sup guys, I'm getting ready to brew my first all-grain batch. I'm gonna try a Belgian strong pale from the book Radical Brewing. The only malt in the recipe is 11lbs of pilsen, no boil time is given. I saw some posts recommending a 90 min boil for pilsen malt. I'd just as soon only do a 60 min boil unless 90 is recommended. The recipe in the book isn't very detailed, only gives ingredients. 5 gal batch. thanks. I'd also welcome any other tips or thoughts, using a 10 gal. brew-pot with 48 quart rectangular cooler w/ stainless braid. How much water would you start the mash with and the amount of sparge water that I will need would also help a lot. I'm sorry but I'm a total noob here and I need all the help I can get. Moving straight into all-grain from extract, so the learning curve is pretty steep for me.
Thanks in advance guys

+4 on 90 minutes and chill as quickly as possible. DMS will continue to form above 140 F in the wort, but won't come out of solution if it is not boiling.

Back