60+ hours before signs of fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corn

Reaction score
I pitched yeast in my APA extract batch, it was more than 60 hours before I saw the first bubbling in the airlock. I assume the beer should not be negatively affected by this? Have you ever seen this before?

Was it a carboy or a bucket? a three piece or a multi-chamber airlock?

I use a three piece airlock (less visible activity than the multi-chamber) and a bucket (which can leak around the lid....this is safe during primary unless you check on it constantly), and I sometimes don't much, if any, fermentation activity, but my beers turn out fine. Also, some yeasts work more slowly than others, making bubbling a long-term affair.

I use a bucket and a three piece airlock. I never open the bucket once I close it, not until I'm reasonably sure that I'm ready to rack to my secondary fermenter(Carboy). I was sure that it wasn't going to start. I had had the kit sitting around for a while and the yeast was five months past it's "best by date". All seems to be fine now though.

I pitched around 70deg. I ferment in a dark closet under my stair case. Temp stays consistently around 70.

At 5 months past best by date it does not surprise me that it took so long to start. Especially if it was liquid yeast. If so you probably had less than 10% viable yeast cells.

You should look into making starters when using liquid yeast. Especially when using yeast at 5 months past best by dates. If it was dry yeast and kept in the refrigerator it should have been good for at least a year. If it was dry yeast, it is cheap enough that I would have tossed it and gotten new yeast.

It is likely going to be OK but it would have been better to pitch the proper amount of fresh yeast. A starter would do the trick.

Sounds like your setup is similar to mine: my closet is also ~70 but I tell myself it is 68.

When I use Nottingham or WLP001/S-05 I hardly see bubbles any more. I just did a beer with S-33, and I saw bubbles after 24 hours and it bubbled like crazy...must be an active ferment :D

If this sort of thing keeps happening, you could install a hole for a 'thief' if you wanted to safely check gravity while you go, or maybe try a multi-chamber airlock which usually shows more activity. As for leakyness around the lid (which I think is the major culprit), it should be ok as long as you don't primary over a month or try secondary in it.

You should also look into controlling your fermentation temperatures. At 70 degrees ambient temperature your fermentation temperature could reach as high as 80 degrees. That will be likely to give off flavors and possibly harsh fusel alcohols.

Research "swamp coolers".

You will make better beer with a swamp cooler! you might have a hard alcohol taste that also might be hot. That is from fermenting to warm.:)

Thanks for the ideas. I will check into the coolers.

I haven't brewed in over a year. Got the itch and cleaned up my gear. Grabbed the kit I had and started. By the time I realized the yeast was expired it was too late to turn back. That will be the last time I start without being properly prepared.

Similar problem - old yeast. Add to that, I kept a gift kit in my garage for over a year where temps range from low 30 F to high 90s. Added dry yeast packet to top of wort and see no activity. Temp about 70-72 F. :confused:
- How much time should I give it?
- After that time, is it possible to add another packet of "new" yeast without adverse impact to final flavor.
Thanks.

Similar problem - old yeast. Add to that, I kept a gift kit in my garage for over a year where temps range from low 30 F to high 90s. Added dry yeast packet to top of wort and see no activity. Temp about 70-72 F. :confused:

- How much time should I give it?

- After that time, is it possible to add another packet of "new" yeast without adverse impact to final flavor.

Thanks.

I was in the exact same situation. My kit had been in. The garage in wide range of temps as well. It took about 60 hours to see airlock activity for me. I didn't consider re pitching fresh yeast, might be a good idea. I have had mine bottled for four weeks now. Just tried a couple the other day. Carbonation is good, but beer isn't quite ready. Drinkable but not impressive. Hopefully it continues to improve over the next few weeks.

Back