6 lbs Gold Malt Syrup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakis

Reaction score
I have an extract recipe that calls for 6lbs Malt Syrup. They don't sell this stuff at the store in my area. Is BRIESS GOLDEN LIGHT LME the same stuff? Do I also use 6lbs of golden light lme?

Thanks,

Jake

Thanks! It calls for 6 lbs of the extract but the store sells it in 3.3lb batches. Is it okay to instead use 6.6lbs of the lme?

You could use 2 cans which would increase the ABV a bit and drop the IBU's a little.

Using 6.6lb of LME over 6lb isn't a huge deal, especially in your case. It'll just mean a little extra sugar in your wort, which means a higher starting gravity, which means more sugars for the yeast to turn into alcohol, which means more alcohol! You hop utilization shouldn't be effected much if at all, it's such a minor change in the malt.

Or you could use some of the extra .6lb of malt extract to make a starter for your yeast! (assuming you have liquid yeast)

Thanks all..I just noticed the recipe calls for 6lbs gold malt syrup and 1lb gold dme..so is 6.6lbs of the briess good instead?

Thanks for all the help guys. One more dumb question lol..If I am using all DME instead of LME, would I add more water for the boil?

IMO,two 3.3 lb cans is close enough, even after the recipe correction.

-- edit for the other responses --
Liquid malt extract has 80% of the sugars of dry malt extract, per pound. So if you want to hit the OG, do a little calculating to find how much water to use. Or as mentioned, use a little less DME and the remaining dry for a starter.

Thanks for all the help guys. One more dumb question lol..If I am using all DME instead of LME, would I add more water for the boil?

No such thing as a dumb question. You'll be using the same amount of water, granted that you plan on making a standard 5 gallon batch. If you are using DME, use 80% of what's called for with LME, and in both cases you aim for 5-5.5 gallons in the fermenter.

Thanks, so 6lbs of LME would be 4.8lbs of DME + the 1lb of DME the recipe calls for would mean I need 5.8lbs of DME. It comes in 3lb packs where I get it from so I am going to just use 6lbs of DME for the recipe.

That's more than fine. If you're curious about what your OG and FG should theoretically be, you can plug the extract amount into this calculator. That's really all the weight of the extract is for, determining how much sugar you'll have in your boiled wort, which then turns into alcohol.

Latest posts

Back