6.5 Bung Stopper/airlock Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

85 Haro Designs

Reaction score
So, last night was my first brewsession!

When I inserted the bung and air lock the fit was slopped on my 6.5 gallon carboy. When I say sloppy I mean it was kinda "loose" from what I imagined. Both the stopper and the airlock were wet so they slid easily up and down in each other and the carboy neck. Is this normal, does anyone "dry" the neck first before inserting everything.

I guess I just thought it would be a tighter fit?

Besides that, everything looks good, the yeast is VERY active this morning (at 12 hours) and it smells DELICIOUS!

Yes, when they are wet, they don't seal very well. Many of us have pushed the stopper in wet, and pushed it all the way into the carboy!

You can dry it off with a clean paper towel or allow it to air dry, before putting the stopper in. You'll get a better seal that way.

I have had size issues with my stoppers. I recently had to buy some 7's, because the 6.5's seemed like they were going to fall into the carboy. My 6.5's fit the half gallon and gallon yeast starter jugs, just fine. I have several glass carboys, all of varying ages, some several decades old, and I would just make sure it fits snuggly, without having the possibility of falling into it.

This phenomenon actually saved by bacon brewing last weekend. I was attempting to put in an airlock, but the air pressure of the slightly-warm wort kept pushing it out. I gave up and put in a blowoff hose...and a good thing, too, since I woke up to big gobs of krausen working their way through the hose.

My policy from now on will be to start with a blowoff hose -- I seem to be blessed by the yeast gods (knock on wood).

Back