5L Party Star Kegs - how long does it keep pressure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banesong

Middle Ground Brewing Company
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, to begin with - I know, I know, get a real system. At the moment, a real kegging system is going to cost me close to $65K. Yes, you read that right, $65K - I have to put the addition on the side of the house before the swmbo will agree to a kegorator.

That being said, I have a couple of Party Star kegs and a couple of commercial 5L kegs that are party star compatible. My problem is that with both the commercial and home brew 5L kegs, it seems that once I tap it, I get about a day of use before the beer goes seriously flat. Is this pretty much typical for the product, or am I screwing it up somehow? :confused:

As a slight background, my beers seems to be perpetually undercarbed in the bottle - I always give a minimum of 3 weeks at ~ 70 degrees, and have had other beers sit for multiple months. I am not sure if the problem with the kegs is similar to my bottle carbonation issues or not.

Any ideas?
T

Gee, I only spent $54K on a new garage so I could make the old one my brewery. (Okay, I did need a 10 ft bay for my van as well)

The tough part of using 5L kegs is maintaining pressure, as you have found out. Between that and repeated tap failures, I made the move to cornies.

Back