<5gal BIAB using ProMash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt B

Reaction score
I'm considering giving BIAB a go. I just got back into homebrewing after a 9 year break and I'm really wanting to avoid the 8+ hour brew days that I used to do. I'm considering doing a 3 to 3.5 gal batch on my kitchen stove using the BIAB method. I used ProMash years ago and would like to stay with it. Are there any tips anyone can give me for editing the calculations in ProMash so I hit my mash temps, etc? I understand that when you pull the grain bag out of the kettle the grains get squeezed so that the grains will absorb less wort. So instead of absorbing .5qt per lb its more like .3qt. Are there any other modifications I need to make? I think my previous boil off rate was 8%, but that was on a propane burner. I'm not sure I'll have that vigorous of a boil in the kitchen.

TIA!

I'm not much of a squeezer. I let the bag drain in a colander with a weight on it. Panini press works good or cast iron dutch oven. I lose between 1 and 2 quarts in 10 (prox) pounds of grain. I squeeze a tiny bit, but not much.

I used to have ProMash... still do on an old PC but ProMash was abandoned before, or just as BIAB was emerging so I have switched to Beersmith which includes BIAB in it's calculations. I think you'll like it if you make the switch. Also... squeeze away. There are no negative consequences from squeezing every last drop out.

Go ahead and squeeze all you want if that makes you happy, my experience is that just allowing the bag to gravity drain for 20-30 minutes will produce similar yield with less effort.

Back