50A panel extension cord length

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summerofgeorge

Reaction score
Here's my current setup:

main panel -> 50A outlet -> 6' range cord -> spa panel -> 50A outlet -> 6' range cord -> control panel

I don't think the 6' cord will be long enough for the control panel. Will it be a problem using a 30' 50A extension cord between the spa panel and control panel? I could go with 15' but don't want to end up too short.

I know this is a lot of cords and outlets but I wanted my setup to be more portable (nothing hardwired/mounted to house except the first 50A outlet) and I didn't want a long cord permanently hanging from my panel. Any issues with having so many connections?

Depends on the amperage you're pulling. I'd think that many extensions and connections might limit the amperage.

You can find voltage drop calculators on the internet. The cord linked above is 6 gauge, and based on 240 volts and 50 amps with a 3% voltage drop I came up with 162 ft. You should be fine, depending on the gauge of your other cables. There is a code requirement limiting the total voltage drop, to a percentage (3% I seem to recall, but I am not an electrician). You need to add up the total drop in voltage across the whole run.
Although one up side to higher voltages is you can make longer runs than with lower voltages (why transmission lines are high voltage). Double check the calculated voltage loss for your wires, but you should be OK.

If it is indeed a #6 check the temp rating printed on the insulation. 75 deg wire is rated at 65 amps and 90 deg wire is rated at 75 deg. Then do your voltage drop calculations like LordUlrich stated.
Also the cord listed above is a four wire and you can get buy with a 6/3 (3 wire ) unless you are needing to include a neutral for 110v.

Stove cords are normally 6/2 8/2. The hot a and hot b are 6 gauge, the neutral and ground are 8. The RV cords are full 6 gauge. I'm not sure that will make any difference, but take it into account on your calculations. Have you measured voltage at your original outlet vs what it is at your panel?

Back