50 year old homemade wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timberdog

Reaction score
I am getting ready to start making my own wine but I have a question that has been bugging me. ( pardon the pun) Last fall sitting around a campfire with some friends one of my buddies went into his fathers basement to get some 50 year-old wine in a oak barrel. It tasted ok and drank about 3-4 glasses before there was enough light from the fire I notice some maggot like bugs swimming around the wine. They where about the size of a fruit fly very small. I didnt get sick or anything but in your opinion what was it ?

timberdog said:
I am getting ready to start making my own wine but I have a question that has been bugging me. ( pardon the pun) Last fall sitting around a campfire with some friends one of my buddies went into his fathers basement to get some 50 year-old wine in a oak barrel. It tasted ok and drank about 3-4 glasses before there was enough light from the fire I notice some maggot like bugs swimming around the wine. They where about the size of a fruit fly very small. I didnt get sick or anything but in your opinion what was it ?

Fruit flies.

Fruit flies love wine...The main purpose of an airlock is to keep the dead fruit flies out of your wine.

Well, they are not dead fruit flies....maggot like bugs swimming....in the wine. Since this is a 50 year old+ barrel I bet there is a solid bung.

Were they actually moving? It would take a pretty robust buggling to live in wine...drain flies maybe?

Vinegar eels thrive in raw vinegar. Those things are NASTY. I bet the a similar 'worm' can live in an old barrel. Gives me the ick factor.

Vinegar eels thrive in raw vinegar. Those things are NASTY. I bet the a similar 'worm' can live in an old barrel. Gives me the ick factor.

Good call, I have a friend that works in a lab and studies nematodes and he spoke off these. To live in wine though wouldn't there have to be a vinegar "mother" present?

Good call, I have a friend that works in a lab and studies nematodes and he spoke off these. To live in wine though wouldn't there have to be a vinegar "mother" present?

No, because they can exist in essentially any fermented food/liquid. I just do not know what they call the wine ones...wine eels? LOL.

That must be some good sheeit!

Back