50/50 Wheat and Maris Otter w/ Mandarina Bavaria Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasunkaWitko

Reaction score
This is my first "from scratch" recipe/brew. I have made several all-grain batches with pre-mixed ingredients.

I'm sure that this has been done before, and am looking for any feedback on experiences with it.

My closest LHBS is over 200 miles away, so this is pretty much the only stuff I have to use. I also have a pound of smoked malt (rauch?) and an ounce of Amarillo hops, but was planning on saving them for other projects.

Here's my plan:

Batch Size: 1 Gallon

American Wheat: 1 lb.
Maris Otter: 1 lb.

Boil: 60 minutes

Mandarina Bavaria Hops:

.1 oz. @ 60 minutes
.2 oz. @ 5 min

Yeast: DanStar Munich Wheat Beer Yeast

Priming sugar:

Honey or Maple Syrup - 2 tablespoons

I downloaded the Brewers Friend app, and plugged in the stuff. I have only the vaguest idea of what I am doing, but it tells me that:

The ABV is 5.4

The IBU is 20.46

That's about all I know. At this time, my preference is to keep it simple and just see what characteristics I get from the grains and hops. I was tempted to play with it, maybe add orange peel, coriander, rosemary...but decided not to for this first brew.

Any comments on what I am making (if it is anything) and what to expect from this combination would be appreciated. I am very open to suggestions, but like i said, I really don't have many options, given the availability of ingredients at this time.

Thanks in advance!

Ron

I brewed something like this last summer. The grain bill was about 45% pils, 45% wheat and 10% vienna for an OG of 1.052. I hopped with mandarina bavaria with 0,5 grams/litre at 20 mins, 1 g/l at 5 mins and 1 g/l dry hop for 7 days. I brewed no-chill so the bitterness was about 10 IBUs. 1 g/l translates to roughly 0,13 ounces/gallon, so the hop amounts were nearly the same you are using.

I'd move the 60 minute addition to FWH and the 5 minute addition to flameout. First wort hopping gives less perceived bitterness than boil additions, but it contributes to aroma and flavor. Mandarina bavaria is a fairly subtle hop so you really don't want to waste any of the aromatic compounds of you only have a limited amount of it in hand. If you want to keep the IBUs at around 20, you might want to do a 50-50 split between FWH and flameout and maybe steep the hops for 10-20 mins before chilling.

Hi, aki - and thanks for the ideas. The actual hops schedule is what I am definitely struggling with. A member named @Joshesmusica has some good experience with these hops, and can hopefully add to the discussion. I'm definitely open to ideas with this, because I've never used it.

I have an ounce total to "play" with, and my initial notes with 3/10 of that ounce were just a guess. I am looking for a fairly non-bitter beer...but definitely want the hop aroma.

Maris otter and wheat in a hefe, a friend made one a while back with great results

Ive used them a few times and tangerine is right on. Very mild and pleasant hop

Most recently was in an OJ DIPA but it had a ton of other hops crammed in too.

if you want to maximize hop flavor use like 1oz per gallon at flameout and hopstand it before chilling. This gets you the best and most pungent hop character, and none of the bitterness

I have a sour Wit on tap right now that used about the same ingredients. 50% Thomas Fawcett MO, 50% Red Wheat, 1oz sweet orange peel, 1/2oz coriander, WLP 400. Mandarina Bavaria additions at 60 and 5 mins with an IBU of ~16. Its a really damn good beer.

Back