5 year old beer ... what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkmoose

Reaction score
Just looking for opinions / guidance.

I brewed 2 batches of beer (5 gallons each) about 5 years ago and still have them in my basement. Both batches were brewed, yeast added, fermentation completed with airlocks and the airlocks were filled with water for over a year. 1 is in a glass carboy and 1 is in a 5 gallon bucket with no water in the airlocks for about 4 years. Sooo ... is this garbage? Any suggestions on what to do with this stuff? If I try to bottle it how would that work since the yeast would most definitely be dead by now? Pitch a yeast packet and wait a few days then bottle?

Cliff's Notes: old beer still in carboy / bucket what to do with it?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

ps ... anybody in NJ that makes hard liquor / has a still want this?

I think he tasted it and may be unconscious, showing online still but no reply

I found a half dozen bottles of dry stout that I made a couple years ago. I tasted it. It was terrible. I drank them anyway.

Makes me wonder it they were that bad when they were fresh...

image.png

He decided to bottle it and it actually won't best of show at a local competition and he is entering it in nationals. He isn't want to taste it for fear of losing a bottle.

still breathing ... that's a good thing :)

The batch in the bucket looks disgusting ... will not be trying that! Looks like cheese making when the curds and whey separate.

The batch in the carboy (glass) looks great. Took some out and tasted it ... reminds me of a weak Hennessy White ... best way to describe it. Pic included :)

2015-12-24 13.39.19.jpg

The beer under the pellicle maybe an awesome sour! Albeit heavily oxidized and vinegary, most likely. I don't see any mold, that's a really good sign.

I'm so glad I bought a house this year finally so I can leave **** in the basement and forget about it too

Back