5 or 6.5 gal carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSBrewer

Reaction score
Since most recipes are 5 gallons, and I understand it's good to let the krausen blow off, why would you ever want a 6.5 gallon carboy?

Thanks for help to de-noobify me.

It's not good or bad to let the krausen blow off, it just makes a mess. 6.5 gallon carboys mean that you won't get a quart or two of your beer blown out into the bucket, effectively wasting it. It also means you can make a full 5 gallon batch. If you ferment in a 5 gallon carboy, after lose the blowoff and the trub you'll get about 4 gallons of beer.

Oh, I thought there is something in the krausen that affects the taste of the beer if it stays.

some people have said that. i would disagree. i'd say all you would do is waste yeast. some people skim as well. i haven't done this, but i suppose the flavor could change. i don't know if it would be a positive or negative effect, but i certainly don't feel the need to try it ;)

Oh, I thought there is something in the krausen that affects the taste of the beer if it stays.

Taste some of it and see what you think. Once should be sufficient. The classical name for this stuff is braun hefe and there have been breweries that have historically skimmed it off.

If you don't want it in your beer then use the 5gal+blowoff. If you don't mind it in the beer then use a bigger 'boy or a bucket, and relegate teh 5gal to secondary or smaller batches.

I've used both for primary fermentation and have noticed NO difference in taste.

I would recommend the 6.5 to avoid the mess, though

Taste some of it and see what you think. Once should be sufficient. The classical name for this stuff is braun hefe and there have been breweries that have historically skimmed it off.

If you don't want it in your beer then use the 5gal+blowoff. If you don't mind it in the beer then use a bigger 'boy or a bucket, and relegate teh 5gal to secondary or smaller batches.

it doesn't end up in the beer anyway, it settles. using a 5 gallon with blowoff will blow out half of your yeast and a lot of beer with it. seems very unnecessary IMO

Wow, 45 bucks?! I was at my LHBS this past Thursday and was talking to the owner about the whole glass carboy situation and he assured me it wasn't a problem for him. He says he's already talked to his supplier who can still get plenty of them from Canada and doesn't see any problems in the near future. He also said he hasn't even thought of upping his prices and plans to keep the 6.5's at $29 and the 5's at $22 or $25 (can't remember which). I still plan to pick up a couple though just in case. Worst case, I'll be able to brew more beer at once.

I think 6.50 gal for fermenter, then 5.0 for brite tank.

It's nice to have the head space when fermenting.

You won't get any rise in volume in the brite tank.

I use a 7.50 for both, but when going to the brite tank, I purge first, then purge again before putting on the air lock. Hate that O2

Ya his prices went from 32 to 45. He's a little higher for most stuff than other places I've seen but he treats me right and I have access to the back of the store.(to poke through used fittings and such) plus hes been brewing old school for so long he's got all the good stories.

Thanks for all the advice. Sounds like 6.5 is the way to go for primary. I've ordered one. For my 5 gal carboy I'll just put a little less water and see if I can avoid the waste when using it as primary.

Back