5 gallons... I need more...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bzwyatt

Reaction score
Started with BrB back in January, now I'm doing 5-gal AG batches. It is more than double the volume of an LBK, but it isn't enough! So I'm starting to consider what I need to make bigger batches. One big limitation is my fermentation chamber, which right now is an ex-household fridge/freezer. I guess I'll need a bigger kettle too... and a bigger MLT...

Well, anyway, where I can research (here, books, equipment sources, etc) what I need to move up some? 10-gal batches, I guess...

I feel your pain. I just recently came back to the hobby. One of the things that frustrated me enough to get out of it was 5-gallon batches, and I didn't have or want to spend the money to go bigger.

General rule of thumb on kettle size seems to be batch size for HLT and MLT and 2x batch size for BK, though there's certainly some debate there...

This is a GREAT place to research your questions, and the search function is your best friend there. I have a number of books that I like (as well as some I don't) but I don't think any of them directly address batch size...

A two or three keggle system works well and if you use gravity then save money on pumps. You can usually get a keg for under 100 then another 60 or so to outfit with ball valve, sight glass and thermometer. The MLT costs more with the false bottom. I had a 10 gallon cooler that worked awesome as a MLT but with the false bottom, the biggest beer I could do ten gallons of is about a 5%. Doesn't cut it for ten gallons of IPA. With a keggle MLT I should be able to brew 10 gallons of any style.

15- 20 gallon pot w/ an electric element, stitch a bag and your good to go for ten gallon BIAB batches!

I might have simplified that a bit, but it's not that hard to do!

Started with BrB back in January, now I'm doing 5-gal AG batches. It is more than double the volume of an LBK, but it isn't enough! So I'm starting to consider what I need to make bigger batches. One big limitation is my fermentation chamber, which right now is an ex-household fridge/freezer. I guess I'll need a bigger kettle too... and a bigger MLT...

Well, anyway, where I can research (here, books, equipment sources, etc) what I need to move up some? 10-gal batches, I guess...

Just brew more often I do mostly 5 gallon batches, I do 10 or 15 of Oktoberfest and my house Patersbier 1 because lagering takes time 2 my house beer goes quick as it's a favorite transitional beer for new brewers

Yeah I am thinking about that, could use my yeast quicker that way too... but I need more temp-controlled space for that... My freezer up/fridge down unit holds two 5-gal fermentors. Could maybe squeeze akn LBK in there...

Back