5 gallon vs. 6.5 gallon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidHawman

Reaction score
So I am looking to get a better bottle to use as a secondary to free up my primary bucket so I can get two batches rolling at the same time. My question is: should I get a 6.5 gallon size so that I can use it as a primary if need be(maybe skip racking to secondary and just have two beers in the primary) or should I go with a 5 gallon to minimize head space?

Thanks!

you can always fill the head space with CO2 or put a gallons worth of sanitized marbles in the carboy.

I say if you have the room, you should always go bigger...... the minute you get the 5 gallon you'll kick yourself because you've limited your options and now will need to purchase yet another fermenter!

As far as I know, the only sizes that BB sells are 3, 5, and 6 (not 6.5) gallons. Glass carboys, however, do come in 6.5 gallon size. Not trying to be nitpicky, but just to help the OP make a good choice.

As far as I know, the only sizes that BB sells are 3, 5, and 6 (not 6.5) gallons. Glass carboys, however, do come in 6.5 gallon size. Not trying to be nitpicky, but just to help the OP make a good choice.

I must have been looking at the glass when I was comparing sizes.

The 6 gallon is what I will go with then. Thanks for the advice! :mug:

Back