5 gallon rubbermade cooler uses?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyer

Reaction score
I was given a 5 gallon rubbermade water cooler. I'm sure it's too small to make an MLT. Are there any other uses for this thing in homebrewing?

You could easily use it for partial mash's or small grain bill recipes.. I use a 6 gallon cooler for my MLT for AG.

Alternatively you can fill it with ice and keep a 12 pack cold...

So this size will work? Thats good news, I can use it to get me started. If I buy the parts to make the MLT will the same parts wirk in the 10 gallon cooler? I'd like to eventually get the 10 gallon but at least this one will get me going.

It'll definitely work for session beers. Don't count on making a barleywine in that thing though. I actually have both a 5 and a 10, I like to use the 5 for session beers since it's easier to clean and I seem to get better efficiency from it.

So this size will work? Thats good news, I can use it to get me started. If I buy the parts to make the MLT will the same parts wirk in the 10 gallon cooler? I'd like to eventually get the 10 gallon but at least this one will get me going.

The same parts should fit a 10 gallon. Hang onto the original plastic spigot, so you can eventually return it to water cooler duty. I've been using my 5 gallon MLT for some time, and have no immediate plans to upgrade it.

I have a 5 and a 10. I already converted the 5, still need to take care of the 10. Waiting on a false bottom that I ordered to make the conversion on the 10. Thinking about turning the 5 into a jockey box, or might just use it for smaller batches, like others are talking about.

Very cool, thanks. I almost didn't take it because I thought it was too small. I might be doing my first AG by the end of summer.

Definitely take it. The 5 and 10 gal Rubbermaid water coolers use the exact same parts to make an MLT. So if you want to move up in size, just move them over to the bigger cooler.

Then go get a $5 thumb tap from your LHBS, stick it on the 5 gal cooler, and you have a great hot liquor tank.

I actually have two 10 gal Rubbermaids, and have wished many times that I had a 5 and 10 gal instead. More versatile.

Oh, the round coolers also fit carboys perfectly (although you might need a tall, skinny one for the 5 gal version). Anyways, they are great for making water or ice baths for fermentation or lagering, too.

You can get close to 14 pounds of grain in it. I use a 5 gallon for my mlt.

I rarely use my 10gal MLT, in favor of the 5 gal one I also have.

less heat loss since there's less head space. I only bust out the 10gal one for brews targeted above 1.060 OG

Back