5 gallon Ozarka carboy secondary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HmeBrwed

Reaction score
okay so I'm at home depot and I noticed their five gallon carboy of ozarka full of water is $13.98 so I ask you I know the water I can use for brewing could I use that car boy as a secondary fermenter thank you guys for the help.

okay so I'm at home depot and I noticed their five gallon carboy of ozarka full of water is $13.98 so I ask you I know the water I can use for brewing could I use that car boy as a secondary fermenter thank you guys for the help.

If it's PET(1) then you should be fine. Some plastics are rated for water storage but not other storage (such an alcohol solution).

Some people choose to ferment in non-rated vessels. It's really up to you and you risk tolerances.

I use them as my primaries, but I'm a cheap redneck. I got 5.5 gallons in one, and had a small blowoff, but not crazy. Check the recycling code on the bottom. If they're #1 PET, you're golden, if they're #7, keep looking. Every Ozarka bottle I've looked at was #1, except for a couple of really old ones.

If it's PET(1) then you should be fine. Some plastics are rated for water storage but not other storage (such an alcohol solution).

Some people choose to ferment in non-rated vessels. It's really up to you and you risk tolerances.

Cool man thanks I will check to see if it is PET #Cheers

I use them as my primaries, but I'm a cheap redneck. I got 5.5 gallons in one, and had a small blowoff, but not crazy. Check the recycling code on the bottom. If they're #1 PET, you're golden, if they're #7, keep looking. Every Ozarka bottle I've looked at was #1, except for a couple of really old ones.

Awesome man thanks... that was actually my next question,"How to know if its a PET or not" lol thanks...

Latest posts

Back