5 gallon hlt with 10 gal tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lefty96

Reaction score
I was at lowes today and they have a sale on their igloo coolers. They had one 10 gal and multiple 5's. My plan had always been to get a pair of 10 gallon but I got to thinking; for 5 gallon batches, would you ever need more than 5 gallons of sparge water? Thoughts?

It is about $25 cheaper. It isn't a huge break. I do wonder if they are working on clearing them out. I was planning to go all grain when it got cool enough to ferment again but I wonder if by then the coolers will be out of stock

are they not on sale online at lowes.com as well? Im pretty sure they ship to store for free and to home for free over $50.

I was at lowes today and they have a sale on their igloo coolers. They had one 10 gal and multiple 5's. My plan had always been to get a pair of 10 gallon but I got to thinking; for 5 gallon batches, would you ever need more than 5 gallons of sparge water? Thoughts?

I use a home depot orange 10-gal cooler as a mash tun for 5-gal batches.
Grain bill is usually 10-12 lbs of grain.
Strike with 4 gal of water,strain/vaurloft it off,sparge with 4 more gallons water.
The grain takes up more than 1 gallon of volume.
So the only way it would be feasable is if you did low gravity beers and could ONLY do low gravity beers. Get the 10-gallon cooler and be done with it.

I use a 10 gallon cooler for a mash tun, and a 5 for the HLT, I've never had a batch where I've needed more than 5 gallons of sparge water.

I usually start with all my water in the kettle, mash in with whatever I need, then keep heating the water, possibly adding more if I need to. Fill the HLT when the temp is right for sparge water.

A 10 and a 5 work just fine for me. I brew 5 gallon batches.

I looked at the notes of my last 5.5 gal batch and I sparged with 5.9 gal based on my equipment set-up, so yes you could very possibly need more than 5 gal of sparge water.

The 5 gal tun would work fine, but it may increase the length of your brew day because you may have to sparge multiple times to get your correct pre-boil volume. Also you may be limited in the size of your grain bill as well. I would go for a 10 gal+. Although you save a bit of money now in the long run a larger tun will give you more options and hopefully peace of mind!

Back