5 gallon container grow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopplease

Reaction score
Figured, I would share my first year hop grow.

First, I drilled some holes in my buckets for draining.

photo (1).jpg

Second, I added some rocks to the bottom of the bucket, again for draining.

photo 2.jpg
Third, Added my dirt and made a hole for my rhizome.
photo 3.jpg

Forth, I placed my rhizome vertical with the shoots towards the top. Then covered with dirt.
photo 4.jpg

Marked the strain with a paint marker.
photo 5.jpg

Hopefully, next year I will be able to transplant it into the ground.

I have three buckets. Two Chinook and one Cascade. Hopefully they will produce enough for one 5 gallon IPA.

Cheers,

Josh

The first time I grew some like that, I didn't want to take the chance to leave them in the buckets over the corse of the winter in case they didn't take the freezing, so I had some spots prepared to plant them at the end of the season. When I went to lift the bucket, I almost threw my back out! It was kinda like a cartoon episode as I was scratching my head trying to figure out what was going on (of course I had a few IPA's in me). The roots grew through the drainage holes and cemented the bucket to the ground. Just whack the roots off under the bucket and then stick them in the ground. You'll be surprised to see what that little rhizome turned into over the summer!

Lol, awesome. Thank you for the heads up. I am thinking to bring them into the garage or the basement for the winter. Then depending on where I will be next year maybe plant them in the ground come spring 2012.

Pretty excited, after one week. My cascade has a shoot!

photo (3).jpg

Hopplease,

No need to bring them in for the winter. I planted a few in buckets last year for the intent purpose to see what would happen and they came through the winter fine. We had a few stretches of about a week or so (high in the teens and lows around zero). The buckets were just left to sit on top of the ground without any insulation and the plants survived no problem. I'm sure if you're in a colder climate you could pile a bunch of leaves and straw around them for added protection, but it may not be needed. Happy growing.

Nice, Thanks B-Hoppy. I am about 30-45mins outside of Chicago. So it gets pretty cold here for a while some years. One less thing to do is always a plus!

When you did your 5 gallon grow, what did you use to let your hops grow on? I am currently thinking a 10 ft piece of thin wood for each bucket shooting vertical and maybe a couple horizontal pieces of wood 2-3ft (so 1-1.5 ft on each side) coming off the vertical of wood spaced vertically every 2ft. (Amazing artwork below)

Scale:
| = 1 ft
= = 1 ft
.. = used only for formating. When I tried to use just a space it wouldn't format it properly.

Artwork:

====
...|
...|
====
...|
...|
====
...|
...|
====
...|
...|
====
...|
...|

I checked this morning and I now have a Chinook shoot. So I am 2 for 3 so far. Awesome!

I stuck them in the buckets last may or june. They were left over rhizomes I dug that spring that I couldn't get rid of. They were placed next to a hill that was planted along side the house and just ran them up the strings from that hill. First year you can find some cheap sisal twine from the discount store. If you're worried about them breaking the line, just double it up - the first year you usually won't get that much weight on them. You may have more wind to contend with than I do so you may have to triple the string. Use your calculator for budget purposes.

Makes sense that the plants in buckets would make it. I mean if you really think about it freezing is freezing. Not sure bout indiana winteer but Ohio is pretty much like me. ground ffreezes 2.5 foot down here. So it would not matter if it in the ground or a bucket. Just thought of that. so bucket away is my point.

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what your country did to you.-KMFDM

I thought I was the only one who still listened to KMFDM/MDMFK.

I have ordered my riosomes and will plant them next to my shed, They will have full sunlight in the afternoon. Will that be enough or do they need full sunlight all day?

Gerald

they prefer full sun. However not knowing any better when i planted my 1st plant it gets only afternoon sun because of the tree it is under and it does decent. not as good as the ones in full sun but good.

Lol never figured kmfdm would have such a large fan base

The other side of the shed gets all day sun, but the father-in-law is using that for tomatoes and rhubarb. Do they stink when they grow?

So far I'm the only one I know who listens to them.

Well, I finally built a trellis. Took me a while to figure out how I wanted to build it.

I purchased one from big box for $10 for my single cascade
photo (5).jpg

I built the other one out of 1.5x1 10' wide by 4' tall for my two chinooks.
photo 2 (3).jpg

After I built it and placed it in the ground I realized I should have just put my hops in the ground. O well, I should have it in the ground for next year. I have been keeping an eye on my bigger trellis to make sure I train the hops to grow horizontally.

Great pics, I was thinking of planting a couple different hop rhizomes this spring. I wanted to plant and train them to run horizontally along a few stakes with twine between them to border a gravel pathway in the back yard. I get a two gold benefit, fresh hops & some structure for my pathways thru the garden. Any advice is appreciated.

Well, I finally built a trellis. Took me a while to figure out how I wanted to build it.

I purchased one from big box for $10 for my single cascade
View attachment 26510

I built the other one out of 1.5x1 10' wide by 4' tall for my two chinooks.
View attachment 26511

After I built it and placed it in the ground I realized I should have just put my hops in the ground. O well, I should have it in the ground for next year. I have been keeping an eye on my bigger trellis to make sure I train the hops to grow horizontally.

How'd your hops do in the buckets? What kind of yield did you get?

Back