5 gallon carboy at different fill levels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cider Wraith

Reaction score
... put this together for my own use and thought maybe someday someone else might find it useful ...with 5 gallon carboy primary looks like about 4 gals or thereabouts is about right ... anyway ...

3_gals.jpeg

3andhalf_gals.jpeg

4_gals.jpeg

4andhalf_gals.jpeg

Last edited:
... legit question - here ya' go ... that's what 5 gals in a 5 gallon looks like ;)

5_gals.jpeg

Something I will add to this topic...Blue Painters Tape! It might not work with the OPs carboys since it appears to have ridges, but when I was using glass carboys I applied a strip of tape along the outside and marked that with volumes. A decent quality tape will stay in place through several washings. When that strip started to get warn, I would add a new one next to it, and transfer over the markings. With my PET carboys, I just marked directly on the fermenters.

I don't use my large glass carboys much these days (I personally have a friend that had to make that trip to the emergency room after a broken glass carboy...so be safe if using them), but here is a small 1 gallon jar I use for starters:

IMG_4167.JPG

I'm in the process of converting a 1 3/4 gal SS beverage dispenser into a small fermenter to make one gallon batches of melomel. No way can you make a gallon of melomel using real fruit in a one gallon jug. Same applies to a 5 gal carboy. For 5 gal batches I use a 7.9 gal kegmenter. A 5 gal carboy works for 3 gal batches but it's a PIA getting the fruit in and back out.

There were brewers back in the day acid etching carboys with measurements but unless you aggressively wash the exterior it seems a lot easier to just mark it with tape.

Back