5 gal batch woes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usmcoklahoma

Reaction score
I may not have done it right but my current batch is supposed to be a 5 gal batch. I went to take a hydro sample and discovered that there isn't enough beer in there to make the hydrometer float. I cleaned and sanitised my hydrometer and placed it in the batch itself, I heard the clunk of it touching the bottom of the bucket. Should I add some maybe room temp water to bring the batch up or would that mess it all up? Tips?

What are you fermenting it in? Unless you were gallons short, I'm having trouble visualizing the situation.

If you are using a nominal 12" diameter brewing pail there should be 12-13 inches of beer in it.

call me out if im wrong but if it sinks to the bottom theres too much water in it. i think again new to brewing but thats what my experience so far is(testing hydrometer in a bucket of water). also i think the normal pratice is remove a sample from the batch(using a theif or a baster) then put it in a graduated cylinder and cool it to the temperature the hydro is calibrated to, could be your issue too.

Even if it's pure water the hydrometer will still float. When it hits the bottom is it still sticking out the top? What volume do you have in your fermenter?

I may not have done it right but my current batch is supposed to be a 5 gal batch. I went to take a hydro sample and discovered that there isn't enough beer in there to make the hydrometer float. I cleaned and sanitised my hydrometer and placed it in the batch itself, I heard the clunk of it touching the bottom of the bucket. Should I add some maybe room temp water to bring the batch up or would that mess it all up? Tips?

What do you think ? Adding a bunch of water will mess it up since you will be diluting the crap out of it for nothing. Sanitize your hands good, pull out the hydro and buy a wine thief.

Back