5.2 buffer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalpysko

Reaction score
I Have arsenic, iron, calcium, alkalinity, turbidity, magnesium,gross alpha & beta and copper would that help or just a reverse osmosis system do me justice I'm trying to find a good cheap route before having to get the pricey stuff

I'll take a stab and say that I'm guessing that I am not the only person confused by your statement. Could you elaborate?

5.2 won't help at all, considering the problems you present. Your best option is to either buy distilled or RO water or purchase a home RO unit. That will strip the bad stuff that was mentioned.

Are you using city water or do you have a well? I looked up the Manhattan, KS water quality report and it looks like the city water is well within the accepted American Water Works Association maximum contaminant levels for the contaminants you mentioned. If you are getting your water from a well and have those problems I'd recommend either investing in a reverse osmosis home treatment system or else go into town and get some of their water, it's good stuff!

http://www.ci.manhattan.ks.us/DocumentView.aspx?DID=9526

Fairbanks has horrible water The worst I have ever tasted. I'd go with bottled or drive up to the spring at Fox.

I have a buddy that purchased an RV drinking water hose and an RV water purifier. He said it works really well and was fairly cheap. The water purifier is fairly small (smaller than a 2 liter soda bottle) and attaches directly to the hose.

you have arsenic in your water, I'm not sure if I would even drink it. A RO system would be good to have anyway it would make your water better tasting and remove most of the contaminants for drinking.

Activated carbon filters will take out chlorine, chloramine, and taste and odor components when the flow rate through the filter is slow. It also takes out certain heavy metals and volatile organic compounds. Most RO filter systems have an activated carbon prefilter to remove chlorine and chloramine that will damage the RO membrane.

RO is about the best way to get rid of heavy metals. If you can't afford a system, I'd say buy it by the jug.

There are trace amounts of arsenic in all water, just like were all exposed to radiation everyday, but its so trace it has little effect on us

If the levels are safe enough to drink it shouldn't effect the beer, I mean there are standards that say how much can be in there. For example mine is measured in parts per BILLION.

Fairbanks water can be tainted with natural minerals--so much so-- it can be poison. I wouldn't drink water from a Fairbanks source that is unfiltered and not tested--let alone brew with it.

Go R/O and add the some brewing salts to style. 5.2 just maintains p/h--which helps mashing--but does nothing for taste or MORE IMPORTANTLY-->it does nothing removing natural mineral poison (AKA arsenic!). P.S.--> if you are on well water--> test it!

Back