5,000 year old beer factory

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is neat you find anymore information on the find? I love China personally i was there twice. A lot of people don't know that China had the biggest economy 18x over the last 20 centuries. American having the last 2 centuries. From what i read anyhow.

ok so lets get down to brass tacks here... Who's making beer out of broomcorn millet, barley, Job’s tears and tubers?

They worked with what they had i guess and of course not everyone has the same tastes. Chinese food is a lot more interesting/exotic then american or canadian for instance - i'm talking real chinese food.

What about sweet potatoes? Anyone thought of using them in beer?

That would be an interesting experiment. I recall reading in 'The Joy Of Homebrewing' that your everyday, plain old spud can be sliced and added to an all grain mash to boost the fermentable content of the wort, resulting in a more alcoholic brew. I don't see why sweet potatoes couldn't be used the same way.

What about sweet potatoes? Anyone thought of using them in beer?

I made a sweet potato molasses porter in my first year of brewing that turned out really well comparatively to similar beers I was doing at the time.

I cut them up and roasted them before adding into the mash

I made a sweet potato molasses porter in my first year of brewing that turned out really well comparatively to similar beers I was doing at the time.

I cut them up and roasted them before adding into the mash

Yeah... seems like cooking/baking/roasting them would help break down the sweet potatoes so they ferment easier.

I wonder, how much flavor & color did the sweet taters add to the beer/ale? This gets me to thinking about a sweet potato amber ale, with bittering/hop flavor like a brown ale, smooth spicy hop?...hm...:mug:

Back