4th Consecutive Undrinkable Batch - Please Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a little update for anyone who happens upon this thread... I've brewed 5-6 all grain batches since and they were all definitely drinkable. A couple of them were even excellent. I've been watching my PH (bought a meter) and following ajdelange's advice (as linked by SC Ryan above) about using about 2% acid malt in all of my brews. I'm still struggling with pinning down the reason for the HUGE difference in taste between an AG and an extract Pale Ale with the exact same ingredients, but I'm learning to like the AG version more (should be a given, right?).

Anyway, FWIW, YMMV, but I don't think water was playing a part, or at least a large one. I've since used all bought water, all tap water, and a mixture, and haven't noticed a big difference either way.

Good to hear. Nothing more frustrating than spending the money, time and effort and not have good beer to drink.

So the only thing you changed to get it drinkable was you're now using 2% acid malt?

I'm also still using the 5.2 PH stabilizer stuff. So I guess it's a combo of that and the acid that are lowering the PH. And maybe showing a little more patience before tasting and judging. I still detect a little bit of what turned me off, early in the aging process -- whether they are true off flavors or simply a distaste for green beer, I can't say unfortunately -- but I do think it's a PH thing as several had suggested. The PH of both my local RO water and my tap water is pretty high, which was giving me high mash PH. The acid malt and the stabilizer have brought that way down.

Back