4th batch, wanna come up with my own brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjsharp

Reaction score
My father and I recent started home brewing together and we are looking into coming up with our brew. We wanted to do something most people would enjoy, a Belgian wheat with a citrus-y flavor. Much like blue moon. Any suggestions on what strands of yeast/hops/malts? Any suggestions on where to start are welcomed. Like I said, this is going to be our 4th batch so we're pretty new. We've done a brown ale (turned out great) a kolsch that's gonna be done in about 4 days and we just cooked a stout today.

A big part of my enjoyment in brewing is making my own unique recipes that try and highlight what I enjoy most about a style or help me experiment with different ingredients. What I recommend doing is that if you're brewing towards a classic style, that you first check out what the BJCP has to say about it. In this case, Blue Moon is actually a Witbier and not a Wheat beer, so read:
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style16.php#1a

Then I usually look at a bunch of recipes people use for Witbiers, particularly any clone recipes for beers I've had and enjoyed. Here's a thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/blue-moon-clone-recipe-14368/

I think the more recipes you can look at the better. Base your recipe on the basic building blocks of each and what you read in the BJCP and then highlight or downplay aspects according to what you like.

Once you taste it, go back and review your recipe and make modifications as necessary. Or post what you like/don't like and people will be able to point out what recipe changes would be beneficial.

Good luck!

Once you do what TwoGunz points out, you can play with your formulation in a recipe calculator to see what impact your malt selection, hopping schedule, etc., will have on the final product. There are some free ones on the web (hopville.com) or you can pick up some brewing software/apps like BeerSmith or BrewPal.

Latest posts

Back