42hrs: time to pitch 2nd dry yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyplank

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm having the common thought of pitching another packet of yeast, because my first pack hasn't started fermentation yet.

Pitched one pack of US-05 into an ale at OG 1.055, sitting at a temp of 69-71 degrees. Rehydrated. No bubbles after 42 hours. The only noticeable difference is that the sani in the S-stop has shifted mostly over to the far side, meaning there was a little, tiny bit of push.

When is it time to open up the bucket and toss another pack in? And/or, are there any other adjustments to make?

Hey Andy, first it sounds like the initial fermentation already started if the air lock had activity. However, fermentation is never judged on bubbles in the airlock the only solid way of knowing if you had active fermentation is the gravity and or if you see krausen building up.

Honestly, id let it ride and check it in a week based on some proof of activity already shown and then open it up and start checking the gravity and see if you can find krausen ring before I purchased any more yeast.

RDWHAHB

I agree with @TexasDroughtBrewery

Your temp is fine. (no need to go warmer... which is my usual advice)

The gravity is low enough for just one pack.

It will get going... unless you rehydrated with boiling water ;)

Back