4 weeks and still Fermenting????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kia_Hoptima

Reaction score
I did an extract IPA with wyeast 1335 4 weeks ago. It took 2 days for fermentation to begin but then was very aggressive for about 3-4 days. I have since transferred to secondary and Thursday 6/19 it will have been in the secondary for 2 weeks a total of 4 weeks all together. I never take gravity measures... but I have never had a problem. SOOOOO.... I dry hopped directly into secondary with 3 oz of pellets and yesterday (day 6 of dry hop) I noticed activity in the airlock every 15-30 seconds.... Is my beer still fermenting? or is this some type of off-gassing?? I am supposed to bottle tomorrow but am afraid of bottle bombs... I was told to only dry hop for 7-10 days or you'll get veggie flavors which I don't want and tomorrow is day 8 of dry hop.... What the heck is going on and what should I do? wait it out, or just bottle? Please help!

I will def start doing that. Is there anything I can do now for this beer?? Should I take a reading ( I have a hydrometer, and a auto siphon I could use to suck some beer out.... seems like a hassle). My general feeling is that I had a good fermentation in primary for 2 weeks, and now it's been another 2 weeks in secondary... this bad boy has to be well fermented by now?....but I'm not a well seasoned Vet

You can use a auto siphon like a wine thief. Put the body of the siphon, without the inside racking cane, into the beer. It will fill. Put your thumb over the end and draw out your sample. Have your test cylinder ready to release the beer into.
You do need to know if the SG is in the range of a finished beer or if the fermentation stalled.

Just get a turkey baster to pull a sample. They are cheap.

The bubbles you see are probably just some off gassing. After 4 weeks it is most likely done.

Here watch this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was worried about stalled fermentation but I had a aggressive and steady one for 3-4 days... I have kept the temperature between 67-70 degrees F as well so nothing has changed from 4 weeks ago.... Honestly I don't even know what reading to expect if I take one, I followed a furious clone recipe but completely changed the hop bill and added orange peel, and more crystal... LME was kept the same though with 6lbs of Gold and 3.15lbs of Amber. The recipe says FG should be between 1.012- 1.018 so I guess that what I look for.....I plan on bottling tomorrow so I guess I'll just take a reading right before and see where it is.

I appreciate all the help and advice as it has greatly decreased my beer anxiety!! Hopefully it turns out awesome, it smells unreal!

If you are concerned about bottle bombs, the only way to be sure is to take gravity readings (2).

Taking one reading just before bottling will only tell you if you are at the "predicted" FG. You really need to take 2 readings 24 hours apart if they are the same and not really high your fermentation is done.
But, I suspect you have off gassing and everything is OK.

A refractometer will have to be corrected for the presence of alcohol. There are calculators. They are said to be inaccurate.

Fermentation will not stop. Hmm, happened to me, all it took was one fruit fly and I saw the sucker in there too. Fermentation would not stop...wonder why. (OK, I do know why.)

Thanks for all the input everyone! Beer FG was right in between the predicted values and tasted wonderful, full of citra and amarillo!! bottled up and will be great in 2 weeks!

Latest posts

Back