4 gallon v. 5 gallon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BADS197

Reaction score
As you may know from reading my other threads, I'm working on a rasberry red ale.

It's probably only about a 4-4.5 gallon batch because I left room for berry liquid displacement.

Can a normal pitching of yeast (for a 5 gallon batch) speed up the completeion of the fermentation?

I looked at the side of the carboy and I see nothing, not so much as a bubble coming up.

My belgian pale ale next to it you can visably see bubbles comeing up from the bottom and stuff swirling from the fermentation going on inside. It's been in the primary for almost 2 weeks and the RRA has been in for only 6 days.

The liquid level is too low for me to turkey baste a sample to hydrometer test.

I'm not sure what you're asking- you use one package of yeast for any batch of beer, up to 5 gallons. For a 3 gallon batch, one package. For a 5 gallon batch, one package. You don't reduce the yeast amount when making a smaller batch. Is that what you were asking?

Thats what I was asking, yes.

I didn't know if the amount of yeast mattered in how fast it fermented.

Thats what I was asking, yes.

I didn't know if the amount of yeast mattered in how fast it fermented.

Sorta, but not to a huge extent. Yeast always wanna start their life by consuming oxygen and reproducing...then feasting on sugar.

Back