4 gallon keg questions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie3

Reaction score
I have a kegerator that can fit four 4-5 gallon kegs at a time.

The problem I am having is that my LHBS only stocks 4 gallons kegs and all the standard recipes call for 5-5.5 gallon batches. I typically end up having to bottle the last 1-1.5 gallons which is a pain in the but because the purpose of kegs was to avoid bottling all together.

1) Does anyone know of any canadian 5 gallon keg suppliers? I could order from the U.S. but shipping and duty is expensive.

2) Has anyone done 8 gallon batches and just split the batches into two kegs? I'm thinking this might be a better solution to my problem. Twice the beer and less effort.

US or Imperial?:confused: All my kegs are 5 (US); I have never seen or heard of a 4 gallon keg.

Sounds like scaling your brewlength is the best course. And switch to metric....

Check if they are 4 gallon US or UK, as it seems that 4G (UK) ~ 5G (US)

If it is 4 gallons (which I've personally never seen), then your idea about doing an 8 gallon batch and splitting into two kegs would work. Still, if you wanted to only do a 4 gallon batch, you could input the recipe into a brewing software program (I use Beersmith) and they have options to scale recipes to different amounts. ie. your "typical 5-5.5 gallon recipe" to a 4 gallon to fit your needs

Chances are, they're 5 US gal kegs....i'll assume you're going to Noble Grape? How many litres do the recipes make? around 18litres is 5 US gal, 23L is 6 US gal. Most of the kits i do are all 23L "kits" like brewhouse and Festa Brew.

Do the ones at your LHBS actually look different? have you measured them? Ask them how many litres they are (to avoid the US/UK gallon confusion).

Chances are, they're 5 US gal kegs....i'll assume you're going to Noble Grape? How many litres do the recipes make? around 18litres is 5 US gal, 23L is 6 US gal. Most of the kits i do are all 23L "kits" like brewhouse and Festa Brew.

Yes I am going to noble grape. All of the kits from there I top up to 23L mark. And it looks like the buckets they have are measured in U.K. gallons.

My keg is 5 U.S. gallons. Looks like I've been doing some math wrong the last year or so. :drunk:

Yes I am going to noble grape. All of the kits from there I top up to 23L mark. And it looks like the buckets they have are measured in U.K. gallons.

My keg is 5 U.S. gallons. Looks like I've been doing some math wrong the last year or so. :drunk:

Yup, they're 6gal kits. You're still gonna have to bottle the remaining 1 - 1-1/2 gallons which is what i do, and its great for giveaways, aging, or taking to parties.

you using ball lock kegs or pinlock?

Latest posts

Back