3rd recipe attmepted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkeletorMob

Reaction score
So I started a new mix yesterday! It came from "How to Make Mead like a Viking" Jereme Zimmerman, and is written as "inspired by Joes Ancient Orange Mead". He calls it Skald's Verse Bringer Spiced Orange Mead! varies only by a couple spices. I don't have it immediately in front of me, so I'll edit when I do.
1 Gallon of water
3 lbs light mountain wildflower honey
1 Orange Sliced to 1/8ths 2 with rind on (I used 4 as joes calls for all)
1 Crushed Nutmeg Seed
2 Cinnamon Sticks
3 Crushed Allspice Seeds
3 Whole Cloves
3 Thin slices of Ginger (I used root)
"1tsp/5ml or 1 packet of Bread Yeast"
now the bread yeast I had available to purchase was Bob's Mill, and the package read 2 1/4 tsp = one packet. So I used 2 tsp.
it is ferociously fermenting at a big bubble every 10 seconds or so!
I'm very excited and hope the videos can upload!
:pipe:

...keep getting http 500 errors when I try to upload photos...

4 days in, non stop bubble every +/- 10 seconds!!
Looking awesome so far!

Day 16 still consistent airlock activity and the mead is starting to clear a bit! Daily degas as of day 13

Noticing major clearing! Lots of gas and airlock activity still, plan to taste around one month to decide whether I rack it or bottle my first ferment young and enjoy it!

Had a taste here in a dull moment of life. Loved it, warm spicy orange delicousness! Went ahead and bottled as that's all the recipe calls for! Intended to be drank young, I will enjoy a bottle as such and allow the other two bottles to condition for 2 months and 3 months :) Im excited it was my first bottling, minimal spillage for an extreme budget setup. Tastes are of strong spice with a mellow orange undertone, the tannin and citrus bites seem to compliment each other for a full but sharp mouthfeel. I don't expect a fully rounded taste until the bottle that conditions for 3 months is opened, Im anticipating that one to be tasty!!

No gravity readings, no additions, pretty tasty mead! Still a bit sweet too!
I also had mixed a gallon of this minus one cinnamon stick and the ginger to taste differences :)

Latest posts

Back