3rd batch! Weizenbier!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kegstand

Reaction score
Hey guys...just started my 3rd batch of brew. I have the Mr. Beer kit and went ahead and got the Weizenbier since I'm a fan of wheat beer.

Any ideas or suggestions to making it better. It's been sitting in the keg for 10 days now...but unlike my other 2 batches I want to get rid of that "green" taste so I'm thinking of letting it sit longer.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. If you've had the beer before I would love your thoughts on it, good or bad doesn't matter.

Good to be back here and it's GREAT to be back to BREWING!!

I have a tip, get rid of Mr. Beer and start with better recipe kits and equipment. I've had some Mr. Beer "beer" and it wasn't very flavorful. Not bad but not good either.

I have a tip, get rid of Mr. Beer and start with better recipe kits and equipment. I've had some Mr. Beer "beer" and it wasn't very flavorful. Not bad but not good either.

Plenty of good beer has been made with Mr. Beer.

That being said, the Mr. Beer kits are all extract, which is a bit limiting.

IMO, the best ways to improve your beer are the following:

1) sanitation (only your yeast should eat your wort)
2) patience (let it mature properly)
3) temperature control (keep it below 70F for the first week of fermentation)
4) specialty grains (like making tea with grain)

You don't have to use the Mr. Beer kits. You can read recipes on here and just adjust them down to your volume (2.5gal, right?) using Beersmith software or the free online "Recipator".

Just get your process down really well in each of the above categories (in order) and as your beer gets better and better then improve the next category. Keep reading and experimenting... you aren't meant to be good at a hobby the first day you try it, or else it won't be complicated enough to keep you interested for the rest of your life. :D

Congratulations on your brewing! I think you'll like that wheat beer. :mug:

Back