3rd attempt souring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YostsBrewery

Reaction score
In short here's the story. Let me know if the process is sound please

Mashed in at 155 for 1 hr

5 lb German Pilsner
3 lb White wheat malt
.25 lb carapils

Transferred to kettle and boiled for 15 minutes.

Dropped wort to PH of 4.5 with lactic acid as per my ph meter and cooled to 115 deg.

Pitched WLP677 Lacto Derbr (not ideal for kettle souring but figured I give it a shot)

Kept wort at 115 for 72 hours until PH dropped to 3.3.

Started 45 minute boil. Added hops to achieve 10 IBUs.

Cooled to pitch temp and pitched slurry of US05. OG of 1038.

Fermentation started yesterday. Gonna let it ferment out and rack onto 7 lbs of fresh PA peaches for 3 weeks.

My only concern is the souring. I had no pectile on my wort after the 72 hours. Is it normal to not have it if kettle souring for 72 hours.

Sounds like you done good.

Not sure about the specific strain of lacto you used, but you generally don’t expect a pellicle in a kettle sour. At least, I don’t. And almost never get one.

Most people say peaches give very little flavor into beer per pound of peaches. Might do some research to be sure you’re using a sufficient amount.

Awesome. Makes me feel better now. 7 lbs in a 10 lb batch might be too little but I might add a touch of extract before keg to get the flavor. The peaches were off our tree in the yard so no real financial loss.

Sounds like a similar process to what I use, except that I use 'inner health plus' bacteria capsules. You won't get a pellicle doing a sour this way with the short time frame - they take weeks/months to form when the bacteria/secondary yeast is used after the primary yeast (from what I understand....I've never tried it). I prefer mine without fruit.

Back