3787 Clumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mezzoblue

Reaction score
I brewed the dubbel recipe from Brewing Classic Styles a few weeks back. All went well, but I noticed the Wyeast 3787 tended to form into larger clumps and float in solution. Most of it dropped out, but there were noticeable floaties when it came time to transfer.

I didn't bother racking to secondary for this batch, so when I bottled some of the clumps went with the beer. After a week or so I'm still seeing big floating chunks in some bottles. I figured they'd drop over time, starting to think that might not happen.

Is this typical behaviour for 3787? Aside from using a secondary, is there anything I can do to avoid this in the future?

Or you can just wait, too. I use 3787 a lot, and time definitely clears things up well. I do like to use secondaries with the big beers I brew with this. It allows me to control how long it sits on the yeast cake, and how long it ages and settles before bottling.

GuldTuborg said:
Or you can just wait, too. I use 3787 a lot, and time definitely clears things up well. I do like to use secondaries with the big beers I brew with this. It allows me to control how long it sits on the yeast cake, and how long it ages and settles before bottling.

Do you usually get big floating chunks throughout the carboy as well? What sort of time frame are we talking for it clearing up? I likely bottled sooner than I should have cause I needed a free carboy. Live and learn.

Latest posts

Back