3711 saison yeast not clearing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the temperature that you are fermenting it at?

I used a Danstar Belle Saison and it didn't want to finish until I raised the temperature.

Looks like yeast rafts. I had that the one time I used 3711. Huge yeast rafts that would ride up and down. Gravity was stable so after 4 weeks I bottled and used a small paint strainer bag on the siphon pickup hose to leave any yeast rafts behind.

I've gotten stubborn yeast rafts with 3711 too, in fact I just racked one, the beer itself was very clear though. I do ramp up temp at the end but I've never had a problem with 3711 finishing (the beast took this one to 1.001). If the gravity is stable I would just rack out from beneath, or you can try cold crashing.

That's completely normal for this yeast. I usually wait until the little bubbles have gone away in between the rafts then rack it. I find it's hard not to suck up little clumps of yeast when racking but it settles out.

I bottle my beers and find this yeast gives me the clearest beer of any I've tried. The sediment sticks all over the inside of the bottles and doesn't seem to be disturbed in transit so it travels really well.

I have to clean the bottles really well afterwards though!

3711 can take a while to finish. The last time I used it, it was still slowly fermenting in week 3. SG dropped 4 points in weeks 3 and 4. I gave it 5 weeks and it turned out great - FG 1.004. I did jack the temp into the upper 70's for week 2. The yeasties livened back up.

Do a swirl and see if you can bump the temp up. Once it's done or almost done you could put it in a pot of warm water (I've used my brew kettle but a bathtub would do) and that will stir up and release the co2 in there which should re suspend some yeast, break up that kreusen and help finish it out. My 3711 saison took about a month in the keg before it really poured crystal clear btw

Thanks for all the quick replies guys - I ended up just giving the carboy a few firm knocks and most of it dropped out. Will post the outcome on here in time...

Hey guys - just to say thanks for all your responses - it cleared well and just took a little more time. Looks like I was just inpatient!

I just brewed a honey saison with 3711 1.062 OG, was down to 1.002 in 15 days. No yeast rafts, but there's still some yeast activity. A lot more movement inside the carboy than I'm used to seeing with my go to 1056 (and less of a mess).

Latest posts

Back