30 min boil w/FWH?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjl110

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried this? Would it make the 30 min addition of a 30 min boil rounder, like it does at 60 min boil/addition?

I would think it would add more smoother hop flavor maybe getting you slightly more of bittering since you are doing mild bittering with 30 min. I would do it.

I did that for my last APA (extract). Turned out great! I was targeting a 20 minute boil but it ended up being twice that because I miscalculated my water additions. But I added an ounce of Norther Brewer right after steeping my grains and it's definitely smoother than the last batch of the same recipe I did with a full 60 minute boil.

Cool think I'm going for it. Gonna use it in a maharaja-esque PA. For those that may care:

5# 2row, toasted
2# LME
8oz victory
8oz C120

.5 Columbus 30/FWH
1 simcoe @ 20
1 centennial @ 5
1.5 centennial DH
1 simcoe DH

Any other critiques are appreciated!

You talking about averys? is it a pale? or you just shortened it up? cuz i had the maharja IIIpa,its probably the best one i had so far.

Thanks Yooper, I didn't know toasting it would degrade the activity. That could have sucked! Maybe just two pounds toasted then? I also thought about dropping a pound of two row and adding a pound of Munich. I want just a little more malt prevalence than the original.

Yes I'm talking about Avery's, and you are right in thinking that this is a "toned down" version. The original is ~10%, this is 5%. I had it recently too and agree it is probably my favorite. Just want to have more than two before I hit the wall. :D

Yes, if you toast two pounds or so, you should still have enough diastatic power for conversion! Toasting the grain "cooks" the enzymes and denatures them, so you want to make sure you still have plenty of grain with excess diastatic power.

How did you base this? from/ just curious i would love to conjure up something similar.

There are several threads here that discuss it, I would link em, but I'm on my phone. Grain bill is basically 94% 2row, 3% C120, and 3% Victory. There is a little disagreement on how to hop exactly, but I would think that the bittering is done by Columbus and flavor/aroma by the centennial and simcoe, not the other way around as some have suggested. If you search maharaja there will be a thread where a guy close to the bottom of the first page (or maybe the second) says that he got his recipe straight from Avery. It looks like what I would imagine, and was posted on several other sites. Good luck! It is a great brew.

Back