3 wire thermocouple connect to 2 port temp controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indianajns

Reaction score
Excuse the n00b question here. I sincerely wish I was an engineer with a hobby like this.

I've purchased a temp controller and thermocouple to measure mash temp
The Temperature Controller is STC-1000: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00862G3TQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I also purchased a PT100 RTD Temperature Sensor Probe http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CHAUK60/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The temp controller has slots for 2 wires.
The thermocouple has 3 wires: 2 red and 1 white.

Can I make this work with only hooking up two of the wires or am I screwed and 1 or both of these have to be returned? If it can be done, which 2 wires would I connect to the temp controller.

Thanks in advance for any help

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the response. I now see that I purchased a temp control and an RTD. I called it a thermocouple as that is what was on the packaging (see pic.) (my bad, n00b move) My plan is to wire an electric outlet up to the heat side of the temp control to turn on an electric heating element when the temp of the mash drops below a set point. Can I insert two of the 3 wires of the RTD into the temp control?

image.jpeg

No, the STC-1000 uses a (from memory) 10k NTC thermistor. The RTD is a completly different type of sensor and will not work with the STC-1000. Do you still have the temp probe that should have come with the STC-1000 (little black pill on a wire)? Use that. Just be sure that the element you plan to use does not draw more than the STC-1000's current rating.
Or look at getting a PID tempeature controller from the likes of aurberins.com (someone else wil have to advise of the best model#) or Ebay which should be able to use the RTD you have bought.

mattd2 said:
No, the STC-1000 uses a (from memory) 10k NTC thermistor. The RTD is a completly different type of sensor and will not work with the STC-1000. Do you still have the temp probe that should have come with the STC-1000 (little black pill on a wire)? Use that. Just be sure that the element you plan to use does not draw more than the STC-1000's current rating. Or look at getting a PID tempeature controller from the likes of aurberins.com (someone else wil have to advise of the best model#) or Ebay which should be able to use the RTD you have bought.

Thanks. Yes it has the probe but I need the probe to be in the wort. I'll return the STC 1000 and purchase a PID as you are suggesting. Thanks tons for your help.

I have a keezer for my kegs and a fridge for fermentation both managed by a Johnson. I almost kept the STC-1000 as the Johnson swings a bit to wide for my liking on fermentation fridge. But, alas, no way the wifey was going to allow me to buy the significantly more expensive PID without returning the STC as in her words, "This 'little' project has already cost WAY more than you told me it would." I didn't have the balls to tell her I'm not even half way done yet. :tank:

indianajns said:
I have a keezer for my kegs and a fridge for fermentation both managed by a Johnson. I almost kept the STC-1000 as the Johnson swings a bit to wide for my liking on fermentation fridge. But, alas, no way the wifey was going to allow me to buy the significantly more expensive PID without returning the STC as in her words, "This 'little' project has already cost WAY more than you told me it would." I didn't have the balls to tell her I'm not even half way done yet. :tank:

Haha... Good luck!

You need to educate her - hobbies never stop costing money.

Latest posts

Back